Buttermilk Falls - ADK

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm still wondering why this is the most popular fall in the Adirondacks.
Maybe I'm not picking up the scale of this thing through the photos.
Accessibility? Swimming?
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

It’s on the Raquette River south of Lone Lake. The Raquette River is a major canoeing route which will take you from Old Forge to Canada. The falls are less than a tenth of a mile walk from the road and there are picnic tables around the falls. Both pictures really don’t do the falls justice. If you could cross the river it might present a better perspective of the falls. Matt captured the height pretty good, the falls are wide with large rocks diverting the water.

Here's a shot looking up stream.
The top of the falls is on the right just out of the picture.
Last edited by backpacker on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Probably a combination of river volume and accessability. It's only a few 100 feet walk from the parking lot to the river. It's definitely not the most picturesque falls in the region but it's a nice place to visit.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Bobbie

Is this waterfall located on North Point Road?
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Bobbie wrote:Is this waterfall located on North Point Road?

Yes

just south of the village of Long Lake.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Bobbie

Thank you....I did visit this waterfall in October of 2008, as well as in August of 2008. Both times there were hardly any people there. It is truly amazing how one place can take on a whole different look at different times in the seasons. I have some shots of these falls on my website.