Eggleston Falls - Keuka Lake

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I was in this area recently, but didn't have time to check this out. Anyone know the status of the land it's on?
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We've been to Eggleston Glen twice over the years and it became one of our favorite falls. Very tall and in a lush ampitheater. Sort of like Eagle Cliff. We went back the summer before last to find that almost every that could hold a posted sign anywhere near the entrance to the creek had one on it. Somone was very serious about not wanting people going in there. There was a name and address on the sign so I wrote and asked for permission to visit. The landowner very politely denied my request. He was concerned about liability issues. The area was owned by a "Camp Arey" which I guessed was located right across the road, right on Keuka Lake itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipster61 ... 070652724/
http://amazon.com/phrase/Camp-Arey
http://www.naturalhighs.net/waterfalls/ ... leston.htm
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

that's a shame - but with sue-happy people these days, I guess you can't blame him
cbobcat49

I found the email I got from the owner of Eggleston Glen...

Camp Arey‎
Sent: Mon 8/14/06 10:26 AM
Reply-to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: [email protected]

Mr. & Mrs. Babcock:
I am in receipt of your letter requesting permission to hike in Camp Arey,Inc. property at Eggleston Glen, Keuka Lake, Dundee, New York.

I appreciate your interest in this property, however, due to liabilityconcerns, etc. we cannot allow you to hike on the property.
Last edited by cbobcat49 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

There's a photo of a falls from this glen in the latest issue of Life in the Finger Lakes.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

yea - I saw that and was going to go there and try to get a better shot (while his pictures are good, they're not superb, which makes me wonder just who can get published in LITFL...)

So I wonder what that means for the glen - especially being published in the picture - unless the magazine didn't know that the glen was on private property and he was just in there on his own.
cbobcat49

So I wonder what that means for the glen - especially being published in the picture - unless the magazine didn't know that the glen was on private property and he was just in there on his own.
If its a recent photo then the property either changed hands or all the posted sings got taken down. I'm really curious as to what happened.

Chris
T09824
Rookie

I found this interesting since it brings back childhood memories. I use to camp at Camp Arey back in the 60's and 70's and would always hike back to the falls. It is too bad the folks who live there are missing out unless the residents are allowed. I haven't seen the picture you are talking about but I will seek it out.