September Photo Challenge: Wineries

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

that monks kingdom interests me.
I did some quick research and found out it is the St. Michael's Mission House, which is an educational center for the Society of the Divine Word, a Missionary group founded in the Netherlands, with a surprisingly low membership (6 thousand), but apparently a lot of money. This is were they train teenagers to recruit people for God. The grounds are also used as a vineyard for production of sracremental wine (AKA Jesus's blood).

The site was the former summer retreat for Bernard McQuaid, the first Bishop of Rochester, and apparently a greedy bastard.

http://www.wemett.net/pics/mission1.JPG

supposedly there is a sizable gorge on the property too.

Here's a bird's eye view of the compound.
wtd

By quick research, do you mean... just rephrasing what I wrote in the previous post, or did you miss that? ;)

It is an interesting place, and indeed I believe a ravine does cut through the area. I'm pretty sure that The Nature Conservancy has some land in the area that is accessible to "members". Their website says:
In 2002, we purchased a 200-acre property of forests and gullies on the west side of Hemlock Lake, where the City’s ownership along the lake is at its narrowest—roughly 200 feet from the shoreline. Known as the Eagle Crest Preserve, the property is located in the Town of Conesus and adjoins City lands for more than one mile. Incompatible logging or residential development of this property could have had severe impacts to water quality in Hemlock Lake. The Eastman Kodak Company provided The Nature Conservancy with funding to acquire this property.
Both the east and west sides are brimming full of deep ravines.
Matt
President
President

I could have saved myself some time if I didn't miss that quote in your first post I guess. :(
Matt
President
President

Thanks for all the great entries! I'll be back with a winner in the next few days.
Matt
President
President

We have a winner...
HaloGirl wrote:Image

A great natural frame. :up:
Good depth :up:
good color :up:

PM me your mailing address for the prize.
sdebruycker
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon power shot SX100 IS

Very nice shot! Congratulations!
Sandi
Sandi DeBruycker