September Photo Challenge: Wineries

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I liked the grape lights... oil painting strokes and canvas texture applied.

DHarper32766

I have a couple photos taken near Heron Hill winery on Keuka Lake.
We found more than grapes growing in vines . . .
We found more than grapes growing in vines . . .
We thought our shadows were sort of neat on the hillside beneath us. . .
We thought our shadows were sort of neat on the hillside beneath us. . .
Matt
President
President

Fox Run

Glenora

HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

I really like the Glenora wine bottles.
wtd

(photo of some grapevines in Hemlock, New York - with edit)

today in the "Livingston Country News" [newspaper]
it said:
'Forgotten Wineries' topic of slide show
The Dansville Area Historical Society is presenting a slide show and wine tasting event called "Forgotten Wineries of Livingston County."
The event is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 23th 2008 at the Moose Lodge at 6 Main Street, in Dansville at 7:30 pm. Who knows, maybe it could be interesting... You never really do know with Dansville.

Perhaps, I'll share some photos later on of the Eagle Crest wine operation http://www.eaglecrestvineyards.com/ above Hemlock Lake. Perhaps also, some of the "forgotten wineries" of Livingston County are due to the fact of poor growing conditions, whereas wineries along some of the larger Finger Lakes are within a more appropriate growing climate. For instance, Eagle Crest vineyards are not really that big, they are also a ways above Hemlock Lake, maybe it would be different if the vineyard was a little closer to the lake shore...? Just some thoughts.

I think Eagle Crest has a bit of interesting history related too it...
On a hill high above the west shore of Hemlock Lake, a square, staunch, four-story stone building stands out in bold relief against the woods. It is St. Michael's Mission House, where for ten years have dwelt and labored members of the order known as the Brothers of the Divine Word. The order was founded in Holland and has few branches in the east. At St. Michael's high school pupils and graduates receive preparatory training for mission fields.

On the grounds of the mission house the good brothers have carved out of the rocky soil two grottos that house statues of the saints. They are the result of many hours of devoted toil. The dim light in the caves, the sacred shrines - there is a medieval air about this mission overlooking Hemlock water.

The site was once the country home of the most Rev. Bernard J. McQuaid, first bishop of Rochester. There he planted a vineyard on the slopes along the lake to provide the sacramental wine for the diocese. The Borthers of the Divine Word have expanded this vineyard until today they have a flourishing commercial wine business, besides supplying churchly needs. http://www.wemett.net/hemlock/beautiful_hemlock.html
Its an older article, so now, I believe the vineyard is under different ownership(?), but they still do make the alter wine there (and its taste is enough to make you want to stop going to church).

Sorry if all this writing is inappropriate for the monthly photo challenge, but perhaps this information will inspire some photographers to think harder, or perhaps no.

ps. ive found that Japanese Beetles seem to be attracted to the grape vines over other edibles in their diet. it's too bad, because they can really make short work of killing even the oldest grape vines.
Matt
President
President

thanks for posting that. I forgot there was one on Hemlock.
There's also another "little Finger Lake" winery on Conesus: Deer Run

Is anyone planning on getting out to a winery this weekend?
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

Well, my pics are almost identical to Chris' (copy cat). I guess that can happen when you've been married for as long as we have (ok, so 4 years is not long enough to say that). Maybe it has more to do with, "Pull over, I want to take a picture here." instead. :lol:. Anyway, I am computer illiterate and can't get them small enough to post, so you're spared from looking at duplicates.
wtd

the picture above is of the mysterious monks kingdom. i dont know who lives there now, perpahs the same order of religious folks or maybe someone who bought the property. its a pretty huge place, it would be so much fun to live there, kinda creepy though. around 15 years ago, i went there and knocked on a back door and smelled pizza and chicken wings and heard a radio/tv going. (eagle crest still makes alter wine and their vineyard is just down the road)...

[schild=1,1,000000,C0C0C0]the wine aint so bad either[/schild]