High Falls - Rochester

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate High Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
13%
2 - Could be better
13%
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
50%
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
13%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
13%

Total votes: 8
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Changes are Brewing at High Falls

Video:
http://www.13wham.com/mediacenter/local ... wokr13.com

Kyle Clark (Rochester, N.Y.) - The first new ingredient for change at High Falls Brewery is a contract with Seagram’s. The deal is expected to bring 100 new jobs to the plant on the Genesee.

Then, there’s the new CEO, Norm Snyder. He’s a beverage industry vet who isn't shy about saying he loves beer.

The brewing operation at High Falls nearly went dry in 2000.

"There have been times when I've wondered if we'd be able to slug it out and persevere," said brewing chairman Tom Hubbard.

Now, seven years later, High Falls is gaining financial footing and Hubbard has found a successor in new CEO Norm Snyder.

Snyder is an industry vet, a founder of the Sobe Beverage line, who hopes to add turning around High Falls to his resume.

Snyder said, "We've got a plan and we're going to dig ourselves out of this."

It means the huge plant that's half empty making its own brands needs to bring in others. Genny's been its stock and trade for a long time, but to keep the business profitable, it's going to take imports like Steinlager from New Zealand and contract brews like Mike's Hard Lemonade to keep High Falls growing.

A big contract announced Friday will have Seagram’s Coolers rolling off the line and is expected to bring in nearly 100 new jobs. Even then, the facility will only be at 65 percent capacity. An optimist might say the beer glass is half-full.

"Obviously there've been some precarious times, we can't deny that, but I think that we've bottomed out and we're on our way back up," Snyder said.

He's actively chasing new imports to add to High Falls' portfolio. That means making different international beers easily available.

He's also looking to dump millions into capital improvements at the plant.

He said upgrades will be noticeable to people cracking one open at home; better technology can mean better taste and longer shelf life
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

hopefully that means more delicious drinks around here!
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President

A week or so ago I went down to high falls to eat at Jimmy Mac's. The housing development is lookign really nice. I have some high hopes for it.
Matt
President
President

Stantec Plans Move to High Falls
(Rochester, N.Y.) – Stantec Consulting plans to move its local work force into the former Saddle Ridge nightclub in High Falls.

The architecture and engineering firm currently operates out of two offices on Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road.

The developer of the High Falls location is seeking more than $2 million in state funds to renovate the building.

“It's a wonderful location,” said James Hoffman, who heads up Stantec’s local office. Stantec would lease parking for its 140 workers at the High Falls garage.

“We are just thrilled. We are just hopeful we get a little help from the state on this issue. If we do, I know the developer is ready to go at a moment's notice,” said Carlos Carballada, the city’s economic development commissioner.

The deal almost didn’t happen, after Stantec polled its workers and found a majority wanted to stay in the Brighton and Henrietta areas. Upon hearing that news, Mayor Robert Duffy sent the firm a letter reminding workers that the city gives Stantec millions of dollars of contracts.

“We actually rallied around that letter. We actually met with the city ourselves, along with the developer, I think that helped reinforce the location, pick a wonderful spot,” said Hoffman.

Stantec’s presence would be a huge boost to High Falls, which has morphed from an entertainment district into offices and housing.

“When this happens, it's going to really push a tremendous revitalization of that district,’ said Rochester Downtown Development Corporation’s Heidi Zimmer-Meyer.

Stantec hopes to hear about the state grant in June. If everything goes as planned, the company would move a year from now.
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/ ... fz8TA.cspx
dwtruland
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D

I'll be in Rochester the next few days, staying at the Radisson, and was wondering if it would be worth a walk to these falls. Easy to walk there? Photo opportunities? TIA.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yes if you are downtown its definately worth the visit. Check this out for all the info you need.

http://www.nyfalls.com/highfalls.html
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
dwtruland
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D

Thanks. I've got a few hours free Monday late afternoon. Supposed to be nice weather. I just to need to see that I can walk under the Interstate that's between the hotel and the falls.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Not sure if you walk under or over....but you should be able to get there from either St Paul St or State St. Either way though it is possible.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook