Pixley Falls state park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Your correct there is also 2 falls on Sugar River 1 on 12D north of Boonville the othe just west of state route 12 near the quarry here's a picture of the one on 12D

Sugar River Falls
On the way out of the Adirondacks we were going along 12D and saw this one from the road...

I think it's the same one. It's hard to tell though. We were on our way from Whetstone Gulf State Park. Has anyone been to this place? What a disappointment. The gorge trail was closed. The sign didn't give any reason. Just "closed". The rim trail allegedly takes you to "one of the most scenic views east of the Rockies" but we didn't bother because it was off and on pouring rain. So we headed down to Pixley Falls State Park instead.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Some pics from Pixley Falls State Park. It was pouring rain so we didn't stick around too long. It looks like I was standing in the same exact sport as outdoorthespian at the side falls.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
dee13409

Just came back from a camping trip at Pixely Falls State Park. Sadly, they will be closed for the 2009 season as they will be doing some work to the park. I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. I understood there was only the 1 fall there, but there were 10 other feeder falls into the stream as well. Water flowing nicely everywhere. I was able to walk up a few of the falls. Walking the 1/2 mile trail allows you to see 9 of these falls, plus Pixely, from both bottom and top. From the lower part of the trail, instead of following the trail up the fall, cross it instead. You can pick up another trail on the otherside to the last fall. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to walk down the cross country ski trail just outside of the park (at the park entrance) as I had a small child with me as well. I understand from a few people, if you walk the ski trail, you will come to a point where a couple (or more?) falls come in together. So where I thought I would enjoy a single 50 foot cascade, I was able to meander around 11!! I will be going back soon to see if I can find the falls off the ski trail.

All in all, not a bad Park. Picknick tables and grills everywhere from full sun to full shade, a Pavillion free to use, a couple of streams, lots of fishing opportunity, bathrooms, water spogots, a playing field, 11 or more falls and a small campground with only 22 Sites making it a pretty cozy place, not too busy. Only $13 per night to camp and day use and parking are free.

I had an awesome time!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Really... closed for 09?
Maybe I should plan a fall trip there this year.
dee13409

I know camping ends Labor Day weekend. Don't know when day use will close, so I suggest you contact the park before going.

Contact Information: Phone: (315) 942-4713
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

laimonas123 wrote:Wow, incredible pics, thanks for post it. I like it so much, post some news. Thnaks ;)
:confused:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
jroz
Junior
Junior

Sorry if this is a bit of a photo overload... my :camera: went a little crazy with the photo taking

IMGP6581 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6576 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6567 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6559 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6550 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6547 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6528 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6532 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6515 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6501 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6495_1 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6487 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6480 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6472 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6468 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6463 by jroz, on Flickr

IMGP6437 by jroz, on Flickr

More in the set on flickr as well.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent set of images. definitely a lot of action in those falls, even in low flow.