Auger Falls

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

We got here in the morning on July 19th. There isn't really a defined edge to the gorge. As you get closer, it gradually gets steeper. Really interesting geologically.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Auger Falls is located a few miles south of Austin Falls. There are two parking lots to access this fall located just off route 8 and 30 between Lake Pleasant and Wells. The parking is on the east side of the road on a dirt road, most people miss the quick right when you enter the dirt road this will put you at the trail head. It’s a short ¾ mile walk into the falls. The trip can be made into a round trip covering about 1.5 miles.

google map

Upper section

Main section

Main and Upper

Close up

Lower Section
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I wonder why the name.
cbobcat49

I think an auger is a type of drill. The water twists so much that the creek literally flips over on itself here. Sort of like a screw I guess. Just a theory.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

cbobcat49 wrote:I think an auger is a type of drill. The water twists so much that the creek literally flips over on itself here. Sort of like a screw I guess. Just a theory.
I would agree with this if you look at the "lower section" picture you can see that the water is rolling somewhat in the top right corner, and down stream of here it twist (rolls) even more.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
freshairgirl
Rookie

I'm surprising my husband with a trip to Speculatory for his birthday. Somebody mentioned Auger Falls to me and that's when I came across this site. I wondered if somebody could tell me of any other walking trails/falls in the area that would be worth us visiting while we're up? Thanks!
cbobcat49

Austin Falls is on the same river...
http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2663
Enjoy your trip!
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Depending on when his birthday is...you might want to research before heading up there. Lots of roads closed, bridges washed out and trails closed from Irene.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook