Jeddo Creek Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I looked at the waterfall listing by county on the home page. For Jeddo Creek Falls “nyfalls is simply asking if you know anything about this let us know via forum.” There are many ways to find waterfalls thru out the state some have loads of info others have none. Nyfalls found Jeddo falls and is simple asking for more info.

Now Falzguy has info on the falls and states it’s on private land but with limited view from a public road, thus to a person interested in photographing this fall it’s worthless to visit due to the fact you can not get a good photograph of the entire setting.

The answer is simple on the home page listing of waterfalls we simply mark it as on private property or remove it. People are people if they see it or read about it and they want to visit it then they will and we can’t stop them, it’s the same with hunting, fishing and hiking. So the easiest thing to do is remove it from the list. Perhaps start a list of falls that can not be visited for whatever reason and the moderator is the only one with access to the list, this way if a new falls is questioned via the forum then the moderator can notify that person via pm the info of the fall and why its not listed.

As for recognition it’s not needed a simple thank you is all that’s needed. Why post in the forum any recognition to any waterfall that can’t be fully photographed in it’s full glory, that’s just asking for trouble.

My 2 cents
Backpacker
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

Listing the waterfall makes absolutely no judgement nor prompts to do anything with that waterfall

in fact, asking the waterfall site land owner is certainly okay, falzguy would agree, or should since that's all that he does with his life, and how would you know who to ask if you didn't know where it was
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'd like to list whatever I can on the waterfall list and map, with the property status as I know it. (unless specifically asked by the owner not to provide coordinates). The ability to visit or photograph it has a lot to do with whether or no I will concern myself with a falls. A lot.

The issue here is that when I started my site I created the policy that I will list falls and their geographic coordinates (the information is readily available on the web) regardless of property status and that I would list the property status as I found out. If the status is private there will be no profile unless I am invited by the landowner to create one (without location info). Private falls would be marked as private.

When the site was starting fresh Falzguy was one of our first community members. He took it upon himself to make every discussion topic into an attack on the site about our policy of listing coordinates for private falls. On several occasions he accused me and my site of promoting trespassing. I explained that I cannot control people's actions and that they can either get the location off of Google earth or here. And if they get it from here, at least I will be making an effort to show online audiences that the falls is private and not accessible (most other sites just list coordinates or driving directions). My site would hopefully serve as an online "posted" notice that a site is not accessible, rather than someone finding the falls on Google and driving there to find out. (and if they made the trek, would they be so inclined to turn back?).

That wasn't enough for Falzguy and he continued to argue against us providing that information. I believe to the point were the few members we had at the time grew tired of it. I have heard from at least one property owner that they were told by a gentleman from the "waterfall survey" we were promoting trespassing on their property. In other instances Falzguy has told me he has discussed my site with other property owners, and from what he has e-mailed me, represented my policy incorrectly.

I have explained our policy numerous times and believe it to be the best for both outdoor enthusiasts and landowners.

It has been over a year and NYFalls has not creeped onto private property, taking photos or publishing driving directions to people's houses. To the best of my knowlege there have been no tresspassing pandemics around the areas covered by my site.

I just find it interesting that Falzguy, so intent on keeping me from providing info as I do, seems to have adopted my policy for his own site. Maybe I should be credited for that.

I also argue that NYFalls does credit contributors quite well (your name is next to your post and team members have credits in their profiles). If you believe that the information you collect is best kept to yourself, unless compensated (I recall one of the requests you had was for a banner linking to your site on each page) then I’m wondering if participating in an information sharing community like the one I have created is best suited for you.
If you don’t want to be a contributing member then don’t. Keep all that info to yourself. Give me a few years and I’ll have all of the information you have and more.
Falzguy

I do not think nyfalls found Jeddo Creek Falls. They have it listed in the wrong county just like another web site. I first visited the falls with a friend who lived in the area around 1988. There is a dam on the west branch of Jeddo Creek in Niagara County. It is for the Middleport reservoir. I have been told it is closed to access.

I don't even see a simple thank you for providing info on the falls. If I take the time to do the resurch I want the credit for it. When Matt takes a photo of a waterfall he wants credit for it. It is the same thing to me.

At the least posting the information will save you and others a needless trip to photograph or view the falls. Isn't this one of the points of the waterfall list on nyfalls? I believe Matt told me it was.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Your post is credit for the information provided. I appreciate any information given and I make sure there is always a record of where that information comes from (this post). I am not going to list your name in the database next to the falls nor credit you at the bottom of the page. That is against site policy. I don't even put my name next to everything I do. See your name next to your post? See your links on the bottom? Is that not credit enough?

If you would like to contribute, for the sake of sharing information and helping people, please do so. If you just want to plug your website, that's fine too. Just understand the purpose of this community is to share information... for free, with understanding that it goes towards helping to build the site. If you are not proud to be a part of this community and help it grow to be a great resource, then what business do you have on it? I'm guessing just taking information and not sharing?

Also I didn't "discover" Jeddo Creek falls first or even claim to "discover" anything first. I understand I'm catching up on all these falls and most of the falls in the database come from other people providing me with information. I found it in a USGS list of falls in Niagara County and put it in the list. I don't know anything about it and I ask for people to help fill in the gaps. If you don't want to do that for the sake of helping, yipidy freaking doo da. I'll get the info eventually. If you want to help, which I assumed you didn't want me to mirror the info you provide on your site (based on the tone of your message) then I'd thank you, summarize the info in our database and bam... the world is a better place.

I do feel flattered you have adopted our private waterfall listing policy though.
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D

Actually, I'd rather just talk to the owner and we'll share a good laugh about Scott Ensminger
Hehe...too funny
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Dang, I take one day off and look at all of the interesting banter that I missed! I don't see where this site has ever condoned trespassing on private property. I appreciate the fact that I can research a waterfall here before I make the trip to find out if it's on private property, but then adding my two cents is really just...
:horse:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I was doing some exploring today and stopped here. Judging by what I saw looking at the crest, it seems like a 20 foot high and 30 foot long steep cascade. Nothing much to look at even if one were able to get to the base of the falls.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau