Trip to NYC

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I was wondering if that's what it was, the future is here.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Catching up on posts, Matt...and what a treat to look back at your first trip a few years ago...I never saw those either...so many great shots of that wonderful city....brought back some memories for me...visited for the first time last fall and I all I wanted to do was take pictures forever...it's the city for that, for sure. thanks for sharing all these. :)
Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I had trouble finding historic markers. Maybe I didn't research enough. Maybe they just don't exist much.

This cool map would have swayed me to certain neighborhoods.

It's the age of every building in NYC.
http://bdon.org/2013/09/12/building-age-nyc/
Matt
President
President

On my last venture to NYC I visited Chelsea Market, the epicenter of hippie organic, raw... designer food that's overpriced in a dark, overcrowded refurbished factory.
wikipedia wrote:Chelsea Market is an enclosed urban food court, shopping mall, office building and television production facility located in the Chelsea neighborhood of the borough of Manhattan, in New York City. Built in the former National Biscuit Company factory complex where the Oreo cookie was invented and produced, the complex fills two entire blocks bounded by Ninth and Eleventh Avenues and 15th and 16th Streets, with a connecting bridge over Tenth Avenue. In addition to the retail concourse in the structure east of 10th Avenue, it also provides standard office space for tenants, including media and broadcasting companies such as Oxygen Network, Food Network, MLB.com, EMI Music Publishing and the local New York City cable station NY1. Also, more recently, Google has moved into some of the second and fourth floors.
My rant about it:
Although it features a few bakeries, cafes, a grocer, and a restaurant or two. It's cute. But overrun with the organic, raw, natural, ridiculously wannabe chic food that it is just tiresome. Organic finger puppets? seriously? People are turning this organic thing into a ****ing joke. That's great that you have a RAW foods "Bakery" but take down the signs claiming it's healthier (because it's not) and certainly don't use the word "bakery" (dumbass). The gelato was cool, but I have had better, not only in NYC, but in Manhattan, and actually the best was just down the road. Also, I'm pretty sick of bakeries using fondant on cakes and cupcakes. That's great that you can make an Angry Birds cake for the people that haven't outgrown that game yet, but as a baker you probably should have figured out that there's not a single person out there that enjoys a cake made out of sculpting fondant. Give it a rest.
Oh.. and there's an Italian foods import shop that was hands down the best one i have been in. I picked up some fine bakers chocolate there. I resisted the awesome selection of imported nougats. There's also a neat kitchen supply shop. They didn't have anything you couldn't find online for a fraction of the price, BUT there's nothing better than seeing it all in one place, handling it, and seeing what matches. Then scan the UPC of what you want and buy from some place not ripping you off.

Photography was tough... it's dark and too many people. But here are some pics.

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Really enjoyed seeing these!!
Seeing those big bowls of spices makes me wonder if they sell enough of them to ensure that it's at least somewhat fresh! Sure, it makes a lovely presentation - but how long do you suppose that stuff has been in those bowls?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

At the price they were selling them, they probably throw out the bowls each night and start anew every day.