Announcement!

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Announcement!

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:43 am

Hey all!
Since I started my new career as a game designer, I haven't had much time for waterfalls or photography. NYFalls has pretty much stagnated.
Internet times have changed and websites are no longer easy to run, and the more they grow, the more money and staff is needed to run them.
Once popular message boards have been consumed by facebook.
Guides for places have been eaten up by people just writing all the info into Wikipedia.
NYFalls.com hasn't made much of any money on ads since people just use ad blockers. In fact this is running nearly a quart of the internet out of business. Heaven fuckind forbid someone see an ad. Better block them all to save the children, right? Seriously, if you use an adblocker to visit sites that depend on ad revenue, then you are a dick. Plain and simple. First thing I do when i revamp this site is just disable it for anyone running adblockers.

So here's the deal.
I'm keeping NYFalls up and running for the time being. It's on a faster, more stable server.
I'm going to probably update the site to a new platform that is more stable, with a simpler design.
Message board will also be updated to a totally new platform.
I have always wanted to update the Niagara falls section - will probably do that.
I have a few more falls and lakes pages I could write.
I will be moving to another ad provider, and toning down the number of ads (people just block them all anyways)
I will open the website up to donations through paypal or gofundme.
I will be using any revenue from photo print sales for myself. Yeah. I used to put all that towards the site. Figure I may enjoy all the $$ from my hard work at this point.
If ads or donations don't pay the bills, f*** it, I delete the site.
If NYFalls continues to be attacked by hackers (it is on a daily basis) site gets deleted.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Advertisement

Re: Announcement!

Postby Des219 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks for giving it one more try.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Camera Model: Canon 6D
Challenge wins: None

Postby cbobcat49 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:55 am

hey Matt... I've been meaning to send you a message lately as to what your intentions were here. Thanks for the update as to what happens "behind the scenes". The forum's been dead lately obviously but the waterfall database section of this site is still second to none. Actually, I just referred someone to it yesterday when asking for advice on things to do for a trip to the Finger Lakes. If you could keep www.nyfalls.com/waterfalls up and running as long as possible I think it would be an awesome source of information for "the next generation" of waterfall hunters like we were 10+ years ago. But hey, everything has a season. Life goes on. Jobs, family, kids, etc. It was fun while it lasted. I do still have a "to do" list of falls I've got to visit or explore further. Mostly from info I've got from this site over the years! :)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
cbobcat49

Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby L_G_D » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 am

Yes, I know how it is trying to keep something running on the Internet (I used to run an online game server, please shoot me if I ever think of doing that again). And that is nothing compared to keeping a site this size running. I can completely understand that the ratio of investment to return must be pretty low nowadays, and it probably wasn't all that high to begin with (I never use any ad blockers). If it keeps going, I will try to post a photo now and then, but I've also found less time to go out hunting waterfalls, or all the ones I go to now are already well-represented here, by much better photographers than me.

I just will say, it was fun while it lasted, and thanks.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Postby Des219 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 pm

LGD you don't give yourself enough credit. You have many great photos and have been a large contributor of information.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Postby L_G_D » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:49 am

ah, you flatter me, sir!
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I second that! Catching up on so many posts You ARE the waterfall king!
Matt
President
President

Postby L_G_D » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:58 am

Ah, more flattery, they say it will get you nowhere, but it is nice to hear! Thank you. I have noticed that some of my photos got "lost" by Imageshack, and I just haven't had the time/ambition to get them re-uploaded and update the posts they are in.

As long as NYFalls is still running, I'll be checking in now and then, and still not using an ad blocker.
LGD
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Haha! yep death to all adblockers! actually with that new script, i can afford to reduce the number of ads the side displays. Just need to find the time to redo a bunch of code
Matt
President
President

Postby Des219 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Glad to hear it. There is great information here so hopefully the site can maintain enough income to satisfy your costs.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:17 pm

actually, good news! The new ads more than pay the cost. I'll let it ride for a bit ans see if they are sustainable. If they are, I will cut the number of ads when i redesign.
Matt
President
President

Return to New York Historic

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Click here for Finger Lakes photos & gifts

Click for Finger Lakes pics
Adorama Pix