Old Factory, Elba

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Interesting on the map
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.07075,-78.18458&z=19&t=H
http://binged.it/12zRQNx

Roadside photos:
factory1.jpg
factory1.jpg (123.57 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
factory2.jpg
factory2.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
factory3.jpg
factory3.jpg (179.18 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
factory4.jpg
factory4.jpg (179.58 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
A map from 1904 shows it as the Elba Manufacturing company. I can't find out what was manufactured here. You can see the old West Shore RR line to the south.To the west: old Elba station perhaps? Note the angle and shape.

And here appears to be the old "Wayside Inn."
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Not quite as far back as 1904, but starting 11 years later - in 1915 ish, here's some history on this property. Can't vouch for its accuracy. I wonder if the 1904 structure was destroyed by fire or something.....

For all who are wondering about the picture of the building and smoke stack located in Elba. The Western New York Farms Company had successfully drained and reclaimed thousands of acres of the Oak Orchard swamp and turned it into the thriving and prosperous mucklands. With the soil proving so fertile and the extremely high yields being attained, a problem arose as to how to process the crops economically. In 1915, the Batavia Canning co.,negotiated with the Western Farms Co. to establish a large canning company known as the Elba Food Products Company. There were originally 3 buildings built. The windows in the buildings contained 3,000 panes of quarter-inch 10 by 16 inch wire-ribbed glass, the buildings took 200,000 feet of lumber to build. In it's first year of operation it processed 240 tons of spinach and 274 acres of peas. Sadly the company went bankrupt. It was purchased in 1917 by another food processing company. They processed food for the U.S. Army. In 1919 they were advised to shut down operations as World War 1 had ended. That was the end of it's use. The owners left Elba. In September of 1919, Wheat's Ice Cream Co. of Akron purchased the buildings. Remodeling began and at that time the chimney that remains standing was built. It is 150 feet high and 7 feet across at the top. The Atlas Milk Products, Inc., condensery was officially opened in March of 1920. It had the capacity to take in 300,000 pounds of raw milk. It's daily out-put of sweetened condensed milk would eventually total 3 carloads a day. The buildings were located next to the West Shore Railroad. Over time a 100 people were employed at the business, many of them woman. In the twenty's the Dairymen's League was operating the plant. In 1932 they were taking in about 90,000 pounds of raw milk daily. Eventually the plant was used by the Oakfield & Elba Growers, Inc., the O & E Growers Inc. and Marky's Produce who operated it as a produce packing, shipping and brokerage business. Most of the buildings were consumed by fire in the 90's. Information is from the 1996 Pinehill, Town of Elba, 175th Anniversary Book available for $10.00 from the Historical Society of Elba. Call Ann 757-9356 or June 757-2791.
The Flanders Company is perhaps the company mentioned that "processed food for the US Army." Their specialty was dehydrated veggies. http://books.google.com/books?id=x_9DAA ... ba&f=false

Elba property discussion

http://books.google.com/books?id=JSdYAA ... ny&f=false
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

great info! Thanks!