Matt's Most wanted

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Here are some of the sites (I know about) that I would love to have added (with lots of pretty pictures)

Allan Herschell Carousel Factory in North Tonawanda
It's on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, so i must have a marker of some sort.

Any markers denoting the many Kiddie amusement parks we has in WNY. I know of maybe dozen kiddie parks that are now gone - one still here - I'm not sure how many are marked...and we have only one listed so far: Boulder Park.

I believe there either is a marker for the Clement Clarke Moore home/office or the Troy Sentinel, stemming from the publishing of "A Visit from St. Nicholas" - this seems to be the only Christmas-related marker I can find evidence of.
swan5549
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D3s /Nikno D300

Matthew.... Sorry to say I have not been paying very close attention to your requests on the website. I noticed today that you're looking for a historic sign dealing with the Alan Herschell carousel factory in North Tonawanda.
Over the next day two, Since I live in this area, I'll check that out personally. But, there may not be assigned specifically designated for that particular site.
So with that said, let me ask a question or two!
I have within my library right now a "New York historic sign" dealing with the Civil War hero from the city of North Tonawanda. but unfortunately this sign stands alone. There is no photographic Support such as a residence of this individual, or Memorial of some type. My idea, has been to add various photos of the city itself. They are architectural items, of early North Tonawanda history, or architectural oddities that are part of the personality of the city.

With that said I have discovered, of all things city light poles, that have full-size wooden Carousel replicas, mounted to them. I can also add those as photographic support for the individual I've just mentioned, if I can't find a sign such.
Would that be acceptable to you?

Second question, I have sent you the "big bridge"(Dealing with the city of Lockport in the Erie canal) historic sign with support of photographs, I'm just wondering I know your life is busy with this website, but did that passed muster for future postings?if not, I'll be more than happy to resubmit, just need to know if yours truly has followed the parameters that you set up.

Sincerely yours, Howard
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

From what I can gather....

Allan Herschell Carousel Factory doesnt have a NYS marker. Are we moving on to historic buildings, homes, barns...etc?

There are however a good dozen or more markers in the Tonawanda area.

What are these parks you refer to Matt? I did several searches and couldnt find anything. Nothing even on Boulder Park, other than Kellys entry on the site. Which didnt come up under several searches. There was Roseland in Canandaigua, but I havent seen a marker for it. A luxury condo development sits where the park once filled kids summers with fun. What other ones were there?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Markers need not be from NYS...just as long as they are sanctioned from some governing body, or a historical society, so maybe there is a community marker. So maybe there is something there. Maybe in the future. There should be.

Howard, for any marker, at this current time, I'm only willing to post photographs of the immediate surroundings of the sign, or in the case of major battle routes, the fort, or battle related to such route.
Although I totally understand that you are say, it would end up being an editor's nightmare to begin opening it up in that way.

But.... if there were a historic marker that was for the general founding of city,town,village,hamlet... I think photos from around that city,town,village,hamlet could would work, right? Something to think about. I'm thinking this would be the only type of marker i could see it working for.

I have your submissions and they are next to go up. I believe I looked them over and they are approved, it's just a matter of time (I'm way behind on the monthly NYFalls.com article. Sorry).
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Matt wrote:sanctioned from some governing body, or a historical society, so maybe there is a community marker.

Ah yes that is true.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook