Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

Geocaching

A place to talk about using GPS and Google Earth technology to map the location and features waterfalls, parks and other interesting local features.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Geocaching

Postby hoohaa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 am

Anybody do this?

A friend of mine has recently got me interested and it seems like it would be an interesting thing to do, especially carrying the camera and seeing the great outdoors while doing it.

I mean, heck -- a fun Saturday: doing some geocaching, finding some falls in the area and getting photos. Sounds like a blast!

Anyway, I'm curious as to if anyone else does this and maybe some thoughts? I've never done it and will likely wait until the weather breaks some to mess around with it.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Camera Model: Canon 7D
Challenge wins: None

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Re: Geocaching

Postby backpacker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:18 am

I use to geocach
But people were finding them and destroying the cach or removing it. When I was a scout leader we hid 2 and both of them were removed. Now at least in my area you have to be a paying member to get the cords for the better ones. Most likely I'll get back into it because my niece's (2 &4) like to hike with me and this would be fun for them. Only problem is they live near Newark, a 2 hour drive for me, but we'll still do some when the weather changes.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os
Challenge wins: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 pm

I have been invited to geocache a few times, but I'm not sure... is it fun? I'm the kind of person that gets frustrated looking for things (wallet, cell phone)-- I wonder if when I can't find the cache, I'll start ripping apart the forest like I do with my office.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby backpacker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Matt
yes it's a lot of fun and if you go with someone that's done a few of them they know where to look and how to find the cach. Most of them are short walks. When I first stated it was hard to find the cach my GPS would get me 20 to 30 feet away but if the person that hide the cach gps was off 30 feet and mine off 30 feet then that puts me within a 60 foot area :( . You know what to look for after your first 3 or 4 finds.
Jim
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:46 pm

so what kinds of things did you find? What did you stuff in the box?
Matt
President
President

Postby hoohaa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Matt wrote:I have been invited to geocache a few times, but I'm not sure... is it fun? I'm the kind of person that gets frustrated looking for things (wallet, cell phone)-- I wonder if when I can't find the cache, I'll start ripping apart the forest like I do with my office.

I've personally never done one, but I know what you mean about getting frustrated. It seems like fun because it's exercise and it's also a way to do some photography and hang with a friend or two.

I'm just hoping all the coordinates and the hints put me at least close and I can go from there. I don't mind searching a little, but I don't want to search all day.

As for what you said about what to put in and take, looks like (from my research) it all differs. Personally, I'll be happy just checking out and signing the logbook. Maybe carry some trinkets and such with me. I'd like to purchase a couple of the trackable coins to put into the holders and see what happens to them. :)

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Postby backpacker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:01 pm

You can find or put in just about anything, or should I say anything is fair game. Most of the time you'll find little trinkets, collectibles, coins, bills, buttons, ruber stamps, hand carved items, rope, stickers, and the list goes on. You don't have to put anything in but if you take something out you should put something in. TB (travel bugs) are fun to watch and move if your heading in their direction. All caches will have a log book and you should sign the book at the least. The container size will be anywhere from a 35mm film can to a 9x13 tupperware container, all containers should have a weather tight lid and some will state their a geo cach. I use to put in 25 feet of red white& blue braided rope that I made.

Here is the link to the home page if you enter your zip code in the upper right corner you'll have pages of hiden caches in you area I belive it's a 50 mile range starting with the closest to the farest. I just did mine and their is 1049 caches in my area.

http://www.geocaching.com/Default.aspx
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Postby Brenda » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 pm

That sounds like so much more fun than I thought that it was! I counted 60 caches within 25 miles, and I even recognized a few of the cachers' names! :D Who knew?
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Alright, I'm going to give this a try in the summer... I'm going to order a few NYFalls Keychains to stuff in there. I guess I should buy a GPS that's more modern - mine is from the 90's
Matt
President
President

Postby hoohaa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:36 am

I, too, am waiting for warmer weather. Or at least without snow on the ground. Probably won't wait until summer, but sometime when it's actually sunny and not blaring down the white stuff!

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Next

Return to Maps and Locations

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Click for Finger Lakes pics
Adorama Pix

Thanks for supporting our sponsors

Finger Lakes pics