Site Announcements

A note from the NYFalls.com founder:
Due to a company restructuring, I will be losing my full time job soon. Although it saddens me to leave the company that I have helped build up for the last 14 years to the success it is today, I am looking forward to new opportunities. I am known for my technical, managerial, and creative abilities, and I hope to utilize all of those talents in my next career. I put together a résumé outlining my skills and projects. Please have a look. Although I am open to any management position, I would like to leverage my experience and success with NYFalls.com and NYHistoric.com into a career in the WNY travel/tourism industry. If you know of a company that would benefit from someone with talents and experience, please spread the word. Thank you for your help and support.
Here is my Resume | Discussion topic

March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: March 19th Owl Prowl

Postby ApproachingLight » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Next outing I'm wearing a wig and a full beard.david.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Advertisement

Thanks for supporting our site by using our advertisers!

Postby hobkyl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

I stopped out yesterday and only found this guy near the long boardwalk. I suspect its the same one that we saw last week, same tree and about the same size.

Mike,
To view the osprey nest...where do you go? I went down the trail that you pointed out and after sloshing through the mud and water for about 20 mins I ended up on the beach next to a home. I turned around went back and took a side trail and ended up near some other homes. There was an interesting trail that spurred off from here with 20'ish poles (maybe 12 or so) that had cordage strung from them. It would appear that maybe they attached birds to these cords and they flew around-drawing in larger birds. However, I didnt see a way to catch the larger birds.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Camera Model: Pentax K30
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: :star1: :star1:

Postby mrbirdnerd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:44 am

Kyle,
You did go in the right direction to see the osprey platform, you just needed to go a bit further west. The area to the west is called Rose Marsh. Very hard to navigate this area, there are not any well traveled paths that I know of.

Here's a picture of the platform that I took back in January 2007. It was very hard to get back to the area back then, and I can only assume that it has gotten more difficult now.

As to the corded poles, I am not sure what they are used for without seeing them, but I would assume that it is exactly as you stated. It is possible that maybe they set up some mist nets around the area to catch what would come in.

Did you happen to have any photos of the corded poles, Kyle ? It has been a few years since I have ventured back to that area of the woods. Did you happen to notice the 'old' banding station that is back in that area, it would have been on the east side of the trail as you were heading back toward the beach.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
http://www.mrbirdnerd.com
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Postby hobkyl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Would this require entering a field at some point? Where I took the side trail..there was a junction...one way went into a large field (which might have been the same field that the hawk banding occurs in-but I didnt want to sludge through the standing water), the other was the way I followed. If you were to head down the trail that you pointed out, you would make a right turn. Follow that to its end and you will see some homes a couple hundred yards away. Continue on and there will be a small trail to the right that will have the poles. If you take that trail, you will end up in a large field with a couple of small outbuildings in it. I'm guessing that this field borders Manitou Beach Road just north of the parking lot based on the houses lined up.

I didnt take any photos, now I wish I had.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby mrbirdnerd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 pm

It's been a few years since I have been back in that area, Kyle, and I am sure that the trails have changed a bit. I will be getting out of work this morning at 6 AM, and I plan on heading down to Owl Woods to walk through. I will head down the trail to the beach and try to get my bearings once again. I will let you know what I find.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Postby hobkyl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Ok Mike...make sure you wear some waterproof boots...its pretty bad back there. If you're going to look for the poles...go right at the 4 way intersection and keep going past the yards and the small trail will be on the right.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I made it down the beach a few years back. It's not much of a beach. Someone had put up an obstacle course of 2x4s to get over some of the really muddy/flooded areas. That was pretty fun.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby hobkyl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Those rickety 2x4s were a saving grace
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Postby mrbirdnerd » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Yeah Matt,
The planks are still there, with about 2-3 inches of water beneath them. One good thing about going down that path after a nice cold night is the ice that keeps you on top of the muddy mess.

Kyle, to get to the Osprey platform you go straight at the intersection of the trails, you will end up heading toward the beach. Just as you pass a fallen tree that is above your head, you will see some Wood Duck boxes just off the trail on your left side. There is not really a well worn path, but you will see what looks like a deer path heading toward the nest boxes. Follow that trail, keeping the sound of the lake to your right, you will eventually spot the Osprey platform ahead of you. I walked to within 10 ft. of the pole this morning, still no residents.
I am guessing that the open field with poles that you passed was the Braddock Bay Bird Observatory

Here's a Bing Map with some pushpins that explain the area.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r6mr6q8hpq13&lvl=17.95806866592536&dir=5.70626638035082&sty=b&cid=D14BECA5FD024B67!113

And I was able to locate a couple of Saw Whets

Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior