March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes: 9
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

I'm having the same problem with supporting the gas tank, Jim. I have been scouting out, and getting permission from land owners for access to properties which are closer to my home. Hopefully I can find an area close by that I can locate some owls.

The only nice part about working swing shifts at KP is that I can head to Owl Woods in the early AM for a walk through. I think that might be the only nice thing about working a swing shift, though. Winter sure does suck though, with it being dark to and from work either shift I am on.

I have been through Owl Woods several times over the last few weeks. The new boardwalks are very nice, and the trails have been still frozen. I plan on walking through Saturday and Sunday mornings this week. I am sure that things have gotten quite wet with the warmer temperatures, and all the rain.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Made it down to the woods around 6:30 AM this morning to take a walk through after getting out of work. Beautiful morning for a walk, nice that there was no rain or snow coming down while I was there. The only thing coming down as I was looking up was the melting snow from the pine branches.

This morning mine were the first set of human tracks in the fresh snow on the trails. First set of human tracks I say because all throughout the woods and down the trails were numerous animal tracks. The tracks that I spotted were raccoon, rabbit, chipmunk, red fox, and deer. Very happy that none of the tracks I spotted looked to be from bear. That would be all I needed is to be alone in the woods and spot a bear.

I was able to locate 1 Long Eared Owl just past the long curving boardwalk this morning. The Owl was very high in the tree as I approached, and the only reason I spotted it was that I heard the 1st flap of its wings and spotted it as it took to flight from the tree. If I was only looking down as I approached the tree, I would have noticed that dry branch that I stepped on and made a nice loud crunch. The Owl relocated to a tree just a few feet away, but tucked itself in so well that I had to get way to close to that tree for its comfort level. Took off to another tree just a bit further down the trail. I decided to let it settle in and get comfortable before trying to approach the tree it landed in, so I went around the trail loop looking for others.

As I was walking around the loop, I heard quite a crow commotion coming from the far side of the open field. As I approached this field, I noticed a set human prints going across the field. It's that time of year again for the crow hunters to be out, so be careful if you chose to cross this field to see what is going on. Just as I noticed the footprints, several shots were fired. I turned around and got out of the area.

I decided to just let the 1 Long Ear that I spotted get comfortable and felt that it was time for myself to head home and get some rest for work tonight.

I will probably be heading there again Sunday morning to take a walk through.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Forgot to mention, you guys are hilarious with the owl and mouse costumes. I am sure that if anyone shows up for the group outing in one of those costumes, I'll be laughing my ass off way too much to be able to spot any real owls.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I added a poll to the first page of this topic so people can indicate if they are coming or not.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

good idea with the poll we're still in but not sure of the total number in my party
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I have photographed Orioles that I have lured in with grape jelly and have had to deal with tremendous amounts of guilt over the matter. Once hooked on the Welchs no other food will do.
I did go to Owl woods today and some folks kindly pointed out a Saw Whet Owl. As usual it was a great experience that yielded a couple of awful photos. I am determined to get a great photo this season though and without the aid of live bait...or jelly.
I plan on coming Saturday but my wife has plans so the kids will have to come with me and they have little patience for my birding trips.
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

I am sure that the kids will have a good time going through the woods, Joel. There will probably be other children with the group that will keep them occupied.

By the way, I was able to head through the woods on Sunday morning after work. Of course due to the time change I had to wait about an hour for the sun to light my path. I decided to go around the loop the opposite way I usually do so that I might be able to get a peek at the Long Eared that I saw on Saturday. Well, when I got to the area it was at, there was quite a bit of commotion in the tree tops as I approached. A group (6 to 7) Turkey Vultures took off from their roost. Boy is that ever a wake up call, all the noise and branches falling all around me. Of course with these guys in that area, I was not able to locate the Long Ear.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior

Got a report of 4 Saw Whets yesterday. I am hoping that they may hang out through tonight so that we can find them tomorrow.

A fellow kodaker, Jim Adams, has a blog with pictures : A Year In Oatka
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Flickr