March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes: 9
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

What: A guided hike and photographic hunt for owls, by none other than Mrbirdnerd himself.
When: 8 am, Saturday March 19, 2011
Where: Braddock Bay, Owl Woods, Greece NY
[map=16]355 Manitou Beach Rd,Greece, NY 14468|MEET HERE[/map]
What to bring: Warm clothes, binoculars, long lens, shoes that can withstand mud.
What to know: Know your NY State owls.

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Sweet!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Owl put in on my calendar and see you there. :owl:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

wife and I should be there
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Hello everyone,

It will be very nice to see you all down at Owl Woods for this outing. I will probably be heading there a few times before March 19th to scout out the area to see how the migration is going and meet up with some friends that frequent these woods.

The repairs and replacements to the boardwalks along the trail have been finished, so it should be a good walk through the woods without having to worry about your footing.

Definitely, be prepared if you are planning on attending this outing. Warm clothing, a good pair of boots, eye protection, and a tether for your lens caps. The first two items are a must. I throw in the last two items from my own personal experiences.

The eye protection - Yes I have gotten a few pine branches in the eye while looking up when I should be looking forward.

The lens cap tether - Yes, gone into the woods with the cap on, come out of the woods without the cap.

Braddock Bay Raptor Research will be having a bunch of events coming up in the next couple of months to take note of :

BBRR Events
February 22, 2011 - Raptor Recess
March 26, 2011 - Owl Prowl
April 02, 2011 - Owl Prowl
April 09, 2011 - Owl Prowl
April 09, 2011 - Hawk Banding Tour
April 15, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days 2011
April 16, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days 2011
April 17, 2011 - Bird of Prey Days
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

Anyone know of any cheap hotels in the area? If I were to come out I would stay a night in order to be up early enough. I have about a three hour ride.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Eddiebauer wrote:Anyone know of any cheap hotels in the area? If I were to come out I would stay a night in order to be up early enough. I have about a three hour ride.
Hi Eddie, Here are a couple. They are across the street from one another and just off the NYS Thruway and I-390 - about 1/2 hour drive from Owl woods. Hope to see you in March!

Microtel
Super 8

Another:
Red Roof

There are closer places, but not as cheap.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Hey had some time from work today, looking at the beautiful sunny afternoon, I decided to get my feet 'wet' down at Owl Woods. Great day for a walk through the woods, nice warm sunshine, still frozen trail, but still a little warmer than the last couple of days.

I thought that with the warm front that went through here would bring something through our area, and I was pleasantly surprised. :lol: :lol: :lol: Located a Saw Whet Owl. :lol: :lol: :lol: He was just as surprised to see me, with his eyes wide open looking down at me :owl: . This one was in a tree that I normally don't scan as thoroughly as the others. Perched on the northeast side of the trunk about 10 feet up, eyes focused on me while I moved 3/4's of the way around the tree.

Of course this was an unexpected trip to the woods, so you can probably guess where the camera was. Yeah back home, with my mud boots. Boy, I have to get back into the swing of things. Always be prepared for the unexpected. Got to get me one of those point and shoots, so much easier to just through in the pocket, or keep in the glove box. Oh well, another day.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr