Grimes Glen Climb and Explore

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Weather Channel is saying 73 again, and now it's saying there's a chance of rain for the whole day, rather than clearing in the afternoon as it said before. Only a 30% chance tho.

See you at Conklin at 9am, Kyle! Matt, we'll see you at Grimes at 1pm!
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

See you guys there. I should be there by 9 but if not head on in and Ill catch up.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm going to try my best to arrive by 1... but it all depends on the race... don't wait for me.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The weather looks beautiful! At least here in Buffalo at 7:45am. You guys have fun!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

cbobcat49 wrote:The weather looks beautiful! At least here in Buffalo at 7:45am. You guys have fun!

We had a great day! I'm just getting done with a nice warm shower and getting ready to take a good snooze. Kyle, Ben, and I ended up doing Clark Gully in the morning, then the three of us met Matt at Grimes in the afternoon. We hiked all the way up the the 3rd falls with a few stops to play in the water along the way. Neither Ben nor I took many photos today, but I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle's and Matt's shots.

We NEED to do something like this again. I had an absolute blast today.
-----
spec
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

It was alot of fun but after my close encounter I am at the stage where I am seriously debating if I will ever hike in creeks alone or in ones that dont have ropes like Clarks and Tannery. Which really sucks because there are many more falls and gullies I want to see. But the outcome could have been so different. I kept jerking awake last night with a falling sensation I dont know how much sleep I got but it wasnt much.

I was at the top of a 20' ish falls in Clarks when my feet went out from under me and I went down over the falls into the shallow pool at the bottom. I decided to go up the way Ive always gone up...Ben and Andy decided to go up the other side the one that didnt involve standing on a smooth sloped rockface in an inch of rushing water. Less than 2' from a safe flat foothold, my foot went out from under me-my body followed and before I knew it I was completely underwater at the base of the falls. It took only a second to realize I didnt break anything and I was up and out of the water. First thing to check was my phone...wet. Second thing camera in my backpack...it survived! I should have called it a day right there, but pushed on up Clarks and then went to Grimes. Today I am feeling it.

If I get around to it Ill try to post some pics later today.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

whoah. glad to hear you're all right!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Yeah, it was a bit scary. The hardest part was that there was NOTHING Ben or I could do to stop him. Once his foot went out, he was just gone, and all we could do was watch for the split second it took him to go down the falls. Freaked us out. There was so much that could have gone wrong in that fall, but luck was on his side for sure. When we saw Kyle get up out of the plunge pool and start walking around, we breathed a huge sigh of relief. It sucks that his phone is busted, but at the same time, if that's the only thing that was lost in that fall then so be it. There was someone lookin' out for him yesterday.

I'm sure I can speak for Ben when I say that we're both very glad that you're ok, Kyle.

And if you're looking for a hiking buddy when you go, feel free to contact me and I'll join ya whenever I can.

I slept like a rock last night. When Ben and I arrived yesterday, I was working on ~2hrs sleep over the past three days, so needless to say I was BEAT when we got home. I took a shower and went to bed around 9pm and I didn't wake up til 10 this morning. I'm feeling it a little bit right now, and I'm sure it's gonna get worse as the day goes.
-----
spec