Grimes Glen Climb and Explore

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Forge
Rookie

Kyle, I can say it was a great day even if it did not start out the best, as Andy said anytime you want to go out for a climb let us know we will be more than happy to go. I am more than happy to set ropes for us to use. Thank you for taking those videos of me its great to see what other people see me doing.

Matt, It was nice meeting you and for the record I am completely nuts, but I know my limits. I just push them a lot.

Hope to see both of you out there again it was a blast and an experience I wont forget in a hurry
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

If you will...imagine seeing only my foot/ankle at the very top of this picture....thats what I fell and went over.

It was great meeting all of you guys, I had alot of fun. Give me some time and I might be back out in the primative gullies with company and ropes, but as of right now Im leaning towards places like Letchworth, Watkins, Buttermilk...etc. My knee is the size of a softball and I have an apple sized black and blue lump on my hip. Still playing in my head how very differently that could have ended.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Give me some time and Ill get up more pics, and video of Andy and Ben doing some crazy stuff.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Forge
Rookie

Just a word to the wise before the videos get posted, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, and we mean it!!! Andy and I are very practiced at what we do, and know what risks we are taking. Don't get yourself into something you can't get out of.
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Wow! thats a pretty scary fall. You must have hit that shelf on the way down. At least the plunge pool is deep I think. The last time I was there I thought about hopping in to see how deep it was just out of curiosity, but your route in must have been painful. That fall is definitely 20 feet. Glad you're ok!

[img2]http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232% ... A347nu0mrj[/img2]
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
Forge
Rookie

surprisingly the pool was at most 3' deep when we were there yesterday.
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

hobkyl wrote:
It was great meeting all of you guys, I had alot of fun. Give me some time and I might be back out in the primative gullies with company and ropes, but as of right now Im leaning towards places like Letchworth, Watkins, Buttermilk...etc. My knee is the size of a softball and I have an apple sized black and blue lump on my hip. Still playing in my head how very differently that could have ended.
Yeah, that's likely not an experience you're going to forget and move on from for a while. I'd probably take a break too if it were me. Ben and I were looking at those pictures trying to figure out exactly how you got into that pool. We guessed much as bremer did that you likely hit that top rock sticking out and bounced outwards, though we guessed you'd hit it with your pack not your knee/hip. We figure that must have slowed you down a bit, which kept you from breaking your legs when you went into the pool. Either way, as we've all said, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. I know I keep replaying it in my head, I can only imagine how it is for you.

I stayed relatively injury free -- a few scrapes and bruises from where I fell at the top of Clark when Ben and I went up and over the hill to the upper falls. That was just a slip and I landed on my side, nothing major at all. Other than that, I only got the "expected" minor cuts and scuffs that I'd normally get while out in the creeks. I'm starting now to get a little sore around the shoulders and deltoids, and I'm sure I'm going to be feeling it more in the morning.

Thank you for taking those videos of us at Grimes. I use videos like that to review and critique my climbing (and other activities), as well as to "recapture the moment." I've learned and changed a lot of things about my climbing from videos that have helped me stay safer while doing it. I love the pictures you got of us while we were scrambling up the side of the gully at Clark, too. The closeup is awesome, and then the zoomed out one just puts it all into scale. I think that scramble is what most of my soreness is from -- that was waaaaay more upper body intensive than I usually do.

Again, glad you're not too horribly injured, and that we all got the chance to meet finally. I'm looking forward to our next outing at Letchworth!
-----
spec
hobkyl

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=50d0d8677d&photo_id=4642517463"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewar ... 7"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=50d0d8677d&photo_id=4642517463" height="300" width="400"></embed></object>
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook