Hanging Bog State Wildlife Management Area

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I've been meaning to post these for awhile but I've been way busy. A few Saturdays ago, the 6th, a bunch of us went to check out Hanging Bog State Wildlife Management Area in Allegany County north of Cuba. I had never been here before but I read about it. There's also a hangning bog in Mendon Ponds which I had been to before. It's basically a pond with so much vegetation accumulating on the surface over the years that grass and small plants actually start to grow on it forming a floating mat. The place is very beautiful, tranquil and full of life, not a boring swamp. As we walked along the shore every few feet or so a frog would hop in and let out an "EEP!"

That's the mat of vegetation out in the center...

There was lots of interesting old growth forest there too. This old birch was growing right on top of a decaying stump.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

very cool. Devil's Bathtub is the one at mendon ponds. I know a spot where you can walk on the floating mat.