Howe Caverns - Worth it?

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I've never been to Howe Caverns, but I'm very interested in caves and wonder about cave photography. Has anyone been there?

I also see there is this tourism package where one can see these 4 sites, which include 2 waterfall gorges and another set of caves.

I'm thinking this may be a some interesting stuff to cover next year.

Thoughts?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I've not been there but my husband has. He said that it was very unsettling when they turn off the lights and you're in TOTAL darkness. He also said that it's large enough that you don't feel claustrophobic.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

this is the one near cooperstown right?

I've been there, it's not bad, but I never considered that for discussion here until now

It would certainly add to the parks section, if those are considered parks

There's certainly water involved in those caverns!
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

I've attempted cave photography in oregon and south dakota (Oregon Caves and Wind Cave). Imagine my surprise when I got there and they said 'no tripods' because it was too large to carry....I was kinda pissed because I had been in tighter crawl spaces in Mesa Verde in Colorado to look at Cliff Dwellings and i was able to get there just fine. Might want to make sure you can bring a tripod. I did take some pretty crappy shots of an amazing underground waterfall in Tennessee called Ruby Falls (totally underground, straight 145ft plunge)
http://www.rubyfalls.com/
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

only relevant thing on the "things to remember" section is no large camera bags...

I always remembered that the logo for Howe Caverns looked like a comic book logo
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

I live near there and have only been once or twice. I'm planning to go this winter, as it's the same temp in there all year around. I know they don't want you to bring any bags at all in. They told me I could bring a camera and a flash. Not sure about a tripod though.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Howe Caverns may be a tourist trap, but it is very definitely worth a visit. It's the kind of place you want to try to visit when the crowds aren't there, such as the first tour of the day or on a weekday. This strategy recently snagged me a personal, one-on-one tour with a park ranger at the incredible Mystery Cave in Minnesota. I paid the standard admission charge of about $10 and got 75 minutes in the cave with no one else but the ranger. It was awesome. Howe Caverns is commercial so they might not be so genererous with a small group tour.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Wow, that sounds like a really great experience!
I'd love to visit Howe someday but my wife can get claustorphobic in tight spaces. So we'll see.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau