Canadice Lake

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

To comment on the Canadice Lake profile you just put up... We went on a canoeing trip with Pack Paddle & Ski two summers ago and I felt like I was somewhere totally far from civilization like the Adirondacks or northern Canada! Since it's completely undeveloped... also we were at the southern end of the lake, which is a little more inaccessable.

In regards to picture 5... I was under the impression that the water was so clear and weed free because of the zebra mussel infestation. They filter out the water and make it crystal clear which gets rid of the shade that aquatic plants need. I could be wrong though. That's just what I heard! :roll:
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Zebra muscles help reduce turbidity, but not weeds. So the water can be clear due to Zebra Muscles filtering activities, but still have an abundance of weeds (veinous plants) due to farm run-off containing fertilizers.

The DEC reports this:

"Consistent with the hypothesis of calcium acting as a limiting nutrient for Zebra mussels, Canadice Lake, which is the only one of the Finger Lakes in which Zebra mussel colonization is not yet established, also showed the lowest calcium levels of the 11 lakes. Canadice Lake is the only Finger Lake with an average calcium level below 20 mg/l. It is possible that Canadice Lake has avoided Zebra mussel infestation due to watershed protection measures in place within the basin, however, Hemlock Lake, which has similar restrictions, has not escaped establishment of Zebra mussel populations. A more likely scenario is that the relatively low calcium levels observed within Canadice Lake have prevented the establishment of a viable Zebra mussel population. On a cautionary note, the calcium levels observed within Canadice Lake appear to have ncreased by approximately 30 percent over the past several decades and might approach threshold levels for support of Zebra mussel populations within the near future."
cbobcat49

Actually... I do remember now when we canoed in Hemlock.... I remember seeing all the rocks in the shallow water completely encrusted with them. I don't remember that at Canadice. Interesting.
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

i think it's unbelievable to have an untouched lake like canadice or hemlock...i want to just scoop up the water and drink...
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President

go ahead
ducks poop in it... give it unmatched flavor.
cbobcat49

DEC chief visits Hemlock, a plus for possible watershed sale

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 7710050378
Matt
President
President

I guess that's good news. Rochester has always done a great job with preserving that area. What can the state do that's better? Maybe it'll be under budget for the state and they can start buying more watershed land (Reynold's Gully).
cbobcat49

http://newyorkoutdoors.wordpress.com/20 ... s-june-28/
Yippee - a new trail! Lots of volunteer labor and dedication (to say nothing of dollars) from The Nature Conservancy and the Robert van der Stricht Trail is set to open for the public beginning with a dedication ceremony on June 28th.

The Robert van der Stricht Trail, named in honor of a former president of the local Nature Conservancy chapter, will be a 1.5-mile loop between Hemlock and Canadice Lakes, with a 3/4-mile spur-trail branching off the east end of the loop and connecting with land owned by the city of Rochester along the shoreline of Canadice Lake.

The route is fairly easy — mostly flat in the loop section with switchbacks easing the descent on the spur trail, said Jim Howe, current president of the Nature Conservancy’s Central and Western New York chapter. In contrast, Jessica Deane reported that during one of the work days - while carrying supplies up and down the hills - some the volunteers were joking it might be 6 boot trail! Anyone who owns a Footprint Press guidebook will understand what that means.

A new parking lot off Old Bald Hill Road (west of Hemolock lake) will mark the west end of the trail. At the trail head and along the path, kiosks will present hikers with information about van der Stricht and introduce them to a few of the plants and critters they might encounter during their walk.

The Robert van der Stricht trail officially opens with an 11 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony June 28 at the Old Bald Hill Road trail head.

While in the area, have fun exploring other trails in the area:

1. Hike trails to County Line Falls & Reynolds Gully to view waterfalls (200 Waterfalls in Central & Western NY)

2. Canadice Lake Trail for hiking or biking ( Take Your Bike - Family Rides in NY’s Finger Lakes Region)

3. Hemlock Lake Trails for hiking and biking ( Take Your Bike - Family Rides in NY’s Finger Lakes Region and Take A Hike - Family Walks in NY’s Finger Lakes Region)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau