View of both Skaneateles and Otisco lakes

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

glenofthepools11
Rookie

Hi, my name's Jake, and I'm new to the forum...also I've only recently explored the waterfalls, lakes, and parks in the Finger Lakes, Central New York, and Twin Tiers regions. I'm wondering, is there actually a road/roads that offers a view of BOTH Skaneateles Lake and Otisco Lake at the same time (that would be from opposite sides of road, obviously, presumably atop Ripley Hill in Spafford). I love all the great views of Skaneateles Lake from Route 41 (East Lake Road), especially the "Skaneateles Overlook" pull-off (IMO one of the very best views in all of the Finger Lakes). However, even though this site and other scenery websites claim that East Lake Rd has views of both lakes, I didn't see Otisco Lake from that road (I assume that's because E Lake Rd doesn't run along the actual crest of Ripley Hill??). There are very nice views of Otisco Lake from high up on Willowdale Road and Churchill Road, but again, I couldn't see Skaneateles Lake from those roads. Maybe I misunderstood the wording?? Any thoughts on what is or might be the "two-lakes-view" road (if such a road exists) would be much appreciated; thanks!!
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Hi Jake and welcome. I don't know the answer, but I'm sure one of the experts here will be along soon to help you out! 8)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
glenofthepools11
Rookie

Hi Kelly, thanks for welcoming me :-) I'm glad to join a great website like this!
Also, since I originally posted about the views of Skaneateles Lake and Otisco Lake, I thought I'd share with the group some (paved) roads to drive that I know give excellent views of those lakes and the surrounding hills (for those who don't already know, that is)...

For Skaneateles Lake, some great roads are:
--West Lake Rd (Route 41A) from north of New Hope into the village of Skaneateles
--West Lake St into the village of Skaneateles (by the Skaneateles Country Club)
--Route 359 into Mandana
--Carver Rd
--Glen Haven Rd
--Spafford Landing Rd/Fair Haven Rd
--East Lake Rd (Route 41) from north of Scott into the village of Skaneateles, including the fantastic "Skaneateles Overlook" pull-off view (just before crossing from Cortland County into Onondaga County)
--Nunnery Rd
--Richard Rd
--Eibert Rd
--Collard Rd
--Route 174 into Borodino
--Route 20 through the village of Skaneateles

For Otisco Lake, drive on:
--Willowdale Rd
--Churchill Rd
--Stanton Rd
--West Valley Rd
--Sawmill Rd
--Otisco Valley Rd
--Causeway Rd
--Otisco Rd
--Oak Hill Rd
--Patterson Rd
--Slate Hill Rd
--Amber Rd
--Route 174

Well, I hope this info is helpful! Happy lake-viewing everyone :-)
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for that information. I love driving in that area and I have always been on the lookout for a spot to see two lakes at once. The reality is that the gaps between lakes are such steep hills, combined with the thinness that I doubt it is possible. Even to see one lake, you often have to be downhill on one side. Bluff Point on Keuka, which is probably the highest road in-between two bodies of water, I can't even see the two branches of the lake from the road that runs between.

So, I think that any road that can get you views of two lakes is going to be in succession.
glenofthepools11
Rookie

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply and the info... The reasons you gave for the improbability of a "two-lakes-view" road make sense...too bad though, it would sure be awesome to get to see two lakes at once. However, I read that Keuka Overlook Winery (east side of Keuka Lake) offers a view of both Keuka and Waneta lakes, do you know if that is actually true?? Btw, I can add a few roads to my Skaneateles Lake viewing list from above--Borodino Bluffs Rd; Coon Hill Rd; Rte 321 south into Skaneateles (as well as a few of the other village streets that come down the northern hill(s) toward the lake); Weeks Rd; Hencoop Rd; and Benson Rd (not a great view on this one, but still, a view--and btw this road would take you to the Skaneateles Aerodrome). Also those lists are probably not exhaustive, just the roads I've actually driven on so far...but I'm sure pretty much any road that descends or runs along the hills flanking the lakes would provide at least some view(s). I'd be happy to share lists of roads to drive on for the other Finger Lakes, too, if anyone is interested.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I don't know much about Keuka Lake Overlook, but it would be worth checking out when I'm there.
I think we would all enjoy seeing your photos. Post them when you get the chance.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

There's a gravel pit/quarry just off of Winding Stair Road just outside of Hammondsport that has a stunning view of Keuka Lake. You used to be able to pull your car in there but it was barricaded the last time we were in the area. (within the last few years)

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
glenofthepools11
Rookie

cbobcat49 -- Thanks for the info on the Winding Stair Rd quarry view--when I go to Keuka Lake again this spring, I will make sure I drive that road (even though you noted the quarry was blocked off more recently). Last time I was driving around Keuka I skipped Winding Stair Rd, but I assume that it would afford an excellent view of the lake (and not just from the quarry)...

Matt -- Just FYI, I had mentioned providing lists of roads with great lake views instead of pictures--but since you invited me to share photos, I will post my waterfall and lake pics. I took them with my cell phone (I don't own a digital camera or anything like that--YET!), so as you might guess, the quality of the pics isn't that great. I can tell there is sun glare, "washing out" of color and contrast issues in some/all of the photos...but, I'll share them (in batches) anyway. Also if anyone would like to critique my beginner's attempts at taking scenery photos I would appreciate it very much--thanks everybody!!
Attachments
Glen Creek view also in Glen Alpha
Glen Creek view also in Glen Alpha
Glen Creek Gorge 2 Nov 6 2011.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Glen Creek looking downstream in Glen Alpha
Glen Creek looking downstream in Glen Alpha
Glen Creek Gorge in Watkins Glen State Park Watkins Glen NY Nov 6 2011.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Entrance Cascade
Entrance Cascade
Sentry Falls 2 Nov 6 2011.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Entrance Cascade and Sentry Bridge
Entrance Cascade and Sentry Bridge
Sentry Falls in Watkins Glen State Park Watkins Glen NY Oct 28 2011.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Rainbow Falls looking back
Rainbow Falls looking back
Rainbow Falls Gorge Trail view 2 Nov 6 2011.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Rainbow Falls and Triple Cascade
Rainbow Falls and Triple Cascade
Rainbow Falls Gorge Trail view 3 Nov 6 2011.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 5379 times