Newtown Battlefield National Park?

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I don't see how it would benefit tourism unless the fed was willing to pump a bunch of money into it, hire full time reinactors and teachers and develop the park quite a bit, which we all know they don't have the money for. I think several other parks would be higher priority for going National (Letchworth or Niagara Falls) that would be a huge benefit to the economy of the NY.

Also, on the topic of National Parks... they need to implement tiered pricing to help raise money. State residents should pay discounted fees, and foreign tourists should pay very high fees.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I do think its fairly cool that the NPS is acknowledging the historical status of the site, but you're right, it wouldn't really add any tourist dollars or anything like that.

And it never ceases to amaze me that there's nothing National at all at Niagara Falls. It should be a National Monument at least.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Making niagara falls a national park would pump some much needed development and maintenance dollars into the park. Most importantly it will pot it on a checklist that millions of people make vacation decisions on, and will help to alter the dominant notion around the world that niagara falls is a Canadian attraction.

Letchworth already has a nice tourist infrastructure and a lot of room to expand. It also has more appeal for tourism ( vs a field that was a battle site) and is along a major interstate expressway. Making that a national park could do wonders for Wyoming and Livingston counties.