Anyone snowshoe?

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I have been running and I won't be joining a gym this winter, so I was thinking of snowshoeing.
Does anyone do this?
anything I should know?

I'm looking at picking these up
[amazon=B002UNGV12]Redfeather Snowshoes Conquest USA Injection Molded Snowshoe[/amazon]

I wish I could find some that make bigfoot prints so I can screw with people's minds.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I personally like cross country skiing a whole lot better, but then I'm not a runner (obviously--insert obese smiley here). Even when I was in shape I never much enjoyed running. I am really good at getting myself all tangled up in snowshoes though! I was watching a show on the Travel Channel awhile back about a community in MN(?) where they have snowshoe softball leagues during the summer. It was pretty comical.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

This begs the question, can I avoid looking like an ass in snowshoes?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I have the past 3 winters for mountain climbing...so 3 times total. Look like an ass? Nope. Really not much different that walking/hiking. Dont know anything as far as if those would be recommended or not...however Redfeather is one of the major snowshoe makers...so you probably cant go wrong. They also have snowshoes specifically designed for running.

My gf and I are planning on getting each other snowshoes for Christmas to stay active. I want these....http://www.rei.com/product/805327 or these.....http://www.rei.com/product/807339.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Is Matt really going to get out this winter???

Snowshoeing is great exercise and lots of fun. The new ones won’t make you walk bow legged like the old wooden ones, but they make a lot more noise. I try and buy local if possible true you may send a few more dollars but to me it’s worth it. I bought mine havlick snowshoes and had no problems with the shoes. Word of caution buy shoes to support you whole weight and pack weight if using off trail or rarely traveled trails. If you plan on staying on well used trail then smaller ones will work fine. I’ve walked across spruce traps with no problems and my partner has fallen in (his shoes are too short for his weight). I have the Adirondacks 8x30 with a carrying case.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

"The new ones won’t make you walk bow legged like the old wooden ones,"

Oh, now therein lies my problem! I've ONLY snowshoed with the old wooden ones. No wonder I looked like (and felt like) such an ass! I still like the gliding rhythm of skiing, but I know that shoes are a hundred times better in deep powder.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Never tried the old ones...but the news are simply no different than walking. If I can do it, anyone can.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

can I just tie tennis racquets to my feet?