Seeking Info on Watkins Glen/Other Parks

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Bert
Rookie

I'm planning on making a 4 or 5 day trip to Central NY sometime in May to photograph waterfalls, etc., and am looking for info on Watkins Glen State Park and other parks in the general area.

First - Will the Gorge Trail at Watkins be open during mid-week by the middle of May? Will the shuttle be running (bottom to top) at that time? If not, what's the best (make that "easiest") way to make my way thru the gorge? (I assume top to bottom?) How tough is the hike (up or down? I've read in some other posts here that starting from the top still requires a 300 step uphill climb? Is that true? :confused: ) How bad is the bug situation in mid-May in that area? (I live close to the Adirondacks, but avoid that area of the state in May/June due to the black flies....).

Second - What other specific locations that are good for landscape/nature photography (that don't involve too much hiking :D ) are in the Watkins Glen/Ithaca area?

Third - I'm considering adding Letchworth State Park to the trip. How far is it from Watkins Glen? ...And is it a worthwhile trip in mid-May? (I'm sure that it would be in the fall....)

Finally - on a totally unrelated topic - How do I post images to this site? I've got a few images of specific waterfalls that don't yet have photos associated with them in the "Waterfalls" section.

Thanks!
Bert
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Bert wrote:I'm planning on making a 4 or 5 day trip to Central NY sometime in May to photograph waterfalls, etc., and am looking for info on Watkins Glen State Park and other parks in the general area.

First - Will the Gorge Trail at Watkins be open during mid-week by the middle of May? Will the shuttle be running (bottom to top) at that time? If not, what's the best (make that "easiest") way to make my way thru the gorge? (I assume top to bottom?) How tough is the hike (up or down? I've read in some other posts here that starting from the top still requires a 300 step uphill climb? Is that true? :confused: ) How bad is the bug situation in mid-May in that area? (I live close to the Adirondacks, but avoid that area of the state in May/June due to the black flies....).
Difficult to say... the opening of the trail depends 100% on the extend of damage to it from the winter. There is no set opening date. The shuttle does not run on weekdays. Usually not before memorial day either.
The climb does not have to happen, just turn around and go back. Hiking the gorge trail is a climb in itself, but more gradual.
Bert wrote:Second - What other specific locations that are good for landscape/nature photography (that don't involve too much hiking :D ) are in the Watkins Glen/Ithaca area?
Check the waterfalls map, or Schuyler County for more waterfalls... also our Seneca Lake page.
Bert wrote:Third - I'm considering adding Letchworth State Park to the trip. How far is it from Watkins Glen? ...And is it a worthwhile trip in mid-May? (I'm sure that it would be in the fall....)
It's not too far... maybe an hour and a half drive. and you can hit some finger lakes villages and wineries along the way. It would be a pretty nice dive actually. Letchworth has plenty going on in May. A lot more to photograph than Watkins Glen.
Bert wrote:Finally - on a totally unrelated topic - How do I post images to this site? I've got a few images of specific waterfalls that don't yet have photos associated with them in the "Waterfalls" section.
Here's some basic instructions: http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13 If that doesn't help let us know where you are stuck and we can help. Looking forward to seeing your work.
Bert
Rookie

Matt wrote: Difficult to say... the opening of the trail depends 100% on the extend of damage to it from the winter. There is no set opening date. The shuttle does not run on weekdays. Usually not before memorial day either.
The climb does not have to happen, just turn around and go back. Hiking the gorge trail is a climb in itself, but more gradual.

It's not too far... maybe an hour and a half drive. and you can hit some finger lakes villages and wineries along the way. It would be a pretty nice dive actually. Letchworth has plenty going on in May. A lot more to photograph than Watkins Glen.
Bert wrote:Finally - on a totally unrelated topic - How do I post images to this site? I've got a few images of specific waterfalls that don't yet have photos associated with them in the "Waterfalls" section.
Here's some basic instructions: http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13 If that doesn't help let us know where you are stuck and we can help. Looking forward to seeing your work.
Thanks for all of the info, Matt. Re: Watkins Glen - Since the shuttle doesn't run when I plan to be there, what do you recommend for seeing as many of the waterfalls in the gorge as possible without getting killed by the climb? :lol: Is the Gorge Trail different from the hike up all of the steps thru the Gorge? (I'm confused...)

Re: Letchworth - What did you refer to as going on in May? I would have thought that Watkins had more photo opportunities than Letchworth?

OK - Here's my attempt at posting an image. This is Death Falls, near Raquette Lake - taken about a week ago. I'm not sure how to post it for use in the Waterfalls section of the site.

Thanks again.
Bert
Matt
President
President

Watkins is a workout no matter what trail you take. It is not so bad if you take your time. It's nothing beyond steps (no rock climbing)... and you probably don't have to do more than 20 at a time.... although... to get to Central Cascade, which is considered the most photogenic spot there, you have to climb a large set of steps (maybe 60) to reach that section of the gorge. Its nothing compared to the 90-something steps to get to the upper park to take the shuttle back. I usually climb the steps, but just for a workout... I turn around and head back looking for missed photo opportunities.

Letchworth is a huge park... with 3 major falls and plenty of small ones to find a photograph.
Bert
Rookie

Thanks for the info, Matt.

Well, obviously, I haven't made it in mid-May as I had tentatively planned. But I'm still considering going to at least Watkins Glen SP next week - the first week in June. Is there any update since my last post regarding the opening of the Gorge Trail and status of the shuttle? Also, how bad are the bugs in the Ithaca/Watkins Glen area in early June? I know that they can be brutal in the Adirondacks around that time.... That's why I'm looking to go somewhere other than the Adirondacks!

Thanks!
Matt
President
President

I just called. The Gorge Trail is fully open. Bugs will not be so bad here this time of year.
Bert
Rookie

Well, I finally made it to Watkins Glen this past week, and I must say that it did NOT disappoint! Spectacular to say the least! I also stopped off at Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls and Havana Glen. Here are some of my images from Watkins Glen:

Thanks for all of the helpful info for planning this trip! :D I'm still working on processing my images from the other falls, but will post when available.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Very nice, Bert!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic