Article: Perilous time for parks

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

nice!
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I've been to Woodlawn only once. I've been meaning to get back there. I'm usually only near it when driving along route 5 on my way to somewhere else.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

State parks in peril

Millions needed for upgrades, but little funding is available
WATKINS GLEN -- Louis Boisner once worked with a conservation group developing park trails in Vermont, so he appreciates the effort and money it takes to maintain parks.

Boisner, who hiked the gorge trail at Watkins Glen State Park with his family last week, wasn't surprised to learn that New York is looking at millions of dollars worth of needed work at Watkins Glen and other state parks.

Boisner also knows the state doesn't have that kind of money.

"It always needs constant maintenance because nature will move on without us," said Boisner, an architect who lives in Syracuse. "I understand we have to pick our priorities. I know the ultimate concern is health and safety. I think they did a lot of work here. If we are going to access it and keep it safe, we are going to have to invest more."

The state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is aware of the needs at Watkins Glen and the other 212 parks and historic sites it operates.
The rest here:
http://www.stargazette.com/article/2011 ... y=nav|head