Article: Perilous time for parks

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

the state has decided to close the parks :( :( :(
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

that sucks.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Excuse me if this was already covered....what does this mean? Who owns the land and is it trespass to enter?

Also where are you hearing this from Matt? I dont see anything online or in news about it.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hobkyl wrote: Also where are you hearing this from Matt? I dont see anything online or in news about it.
which is why they will announce it late on a Friday. Too many people will be enjoying the great weather and parks this weekend to notice the news.
i heard it from an inside source. Not 100%, but a state employee within the parks dept.

You can see the news trickle out now...
http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=12478070
http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S1559206.shtml?cat=300

Parks close on Sunday, unless they can get funding from elsewhere. The State has to decide by memorial day on what to do for the rest of the year.
hobkyl

There was a post on facebook for Save Thacher SP earlier this week indicating it was already padlocked.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Most of the parking lots normally open during the winter have been locked since last fall at Thacher. Indian Ladder hasn't been open yet this year. Matter of fact, only Paint Mine and Hop Field have been open. I don't know about Ryan Road or the Quarry parking, neither have gates to lock, so I don't know if they are going to put up barricades or what. Then there's the parking along Beaver Dam Road, which also would be difficult to block access to. I would think it would cost more to block those and patrol them to keep people out than it would to just open the dang park. I still think it's another publicity move, saying they mean it this time, I really doubt they would jepardize all that federal money they get just to prove a point.
LGD
hobkyl

So...it will be trespass if you cross a barricade? Its one thing if they dont want to fund the maintenance and hospitality of the parks...but patrol and arrest people? Let it be wildnerness and let the people use it for recreation.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

I'm going to buy a Parks pass and practice some civil disobedience.