Article: Perilous time for parks

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

No nuptials at Niagara Falls? Jones Beach off limits on a 90-degree day? The “Grand Canyon of the East” devoid of campers?

New York’s state parks system, the nation’s oldest, is facing another round of funding cuts that is likely to result in the first budget-related closures in the system’s 125-year history. State officials say even popular parks at Niagara Falls and Jones Beach, with attendance figures in the millions, could be closed, along with such destinations as Letchworth, a popular hiking and camping spot ringing the rugged Genesee Gorge south of Rochester.
Continued here
http://www.eveningtribune.com/news/x113 ... -for-parks
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I have never disliked a governor more than Paterson. It seems that every time that I turn around he's looking to make cuts in outdoor recreation in one manner or another. I feel that he is so out of touch with those of us outside of his circles.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I have never disliked a governor more than Paterson. It seems that every time that I turn around he's looking to make cuts in outdoor recreation in one manner or another. I feel that he is so out of touch with those of us outside of his circles.
agreed! :evil:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

yeah! Doesn't he see what he's doing? :rimshot:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I have to wonder how much time he has even spent in our state parks--I would guess, not much. I know of many families who can't afford a big summer vacation, so taking the kids to a state park is the closest that they can come to getting away. I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't know many families in that situation. I also have a number of friends who work for the parks. How is this going to effect them?

I'd also be willing to bet that he doesn't know many people who have to utilize public lands for hunting.

I see him as an elitist, and I can't stand people like that. :twisted:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

He is clearly not a leader, but he was dealt a terrible hand, and the dysfunctional State Legislature is not equipped to make hard decisions in times of crisis. The parks closing issue is a ploy that we've seen many times on various issues - threaten a beloved program, stir up public reaction, develop support to restore funding by tax increases, one shot gimmics, cutting less popular programs, etc. Why do you think we're seeing threats to the most popular parks in each region (Niagara Falls, Letchworth, Thacher, Jones Beach)? That said, we do need to play along and dance the public reaction dance to the Gov's tune. Otherwise he might actually do it.

And now we don't get our tax rebates on time. Apparently the zero interest loan we've given State this past year didn't have a long enough term. Same ploy. Outrage to bring the legislature to the table. If you want your park and your tax rebate, your State legislator is the person you need to contact. Then vote him out of office.
Matt
President
President

increased parking fees last year too... don't forget that.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Matt wrote:yeah! Doesn't he see what he's doing? :rimshot:

Took the words out my mouth
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook