Letchworth

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

FleshPSU23
Rookie

Hi, new to the board and registered here looking for some input from experienced hikers/visitors to letchworth. I'm travelling quite a bit to visit letchworth with my gf and am trying to plan a nice romantic weekend at letchworth. Booked a hotel in Rochester so we are able to visit some friends in the area and enjoy the Rochester nightlife. We are going the first weekend in October and I am just looking for a day agenda that some of you veterans would recommend. Would you recommend the woolcott horseback riding (neither of us have rode before)? Is there a trail we should take by car? What hikes would you recommend on foot? Any romantic picnic areas we could have a nice lunch at? (any private areas to lay a blanket out and picnic by ourselves?) Any other information or a day plan you could recommend would be great!
Thanks so much.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

A nice romantic afternoon would be to park at the Tea Table area and then hike south along the gorge trail, stop to see the sights along the way and there are plenty of places to stop for a picnic... but once you reach the Glen Iris Inn... reservations for lunch or dinner would be a nice treat. Save room for dessert.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

If you've never been on a horse before, skip it as part of a romantic getaway. You'll be too sore to do anything else! :lol:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
FleshPSU23
Rookie

Know this kind of a ridiculous question, as everyone is different, but any idea how long it would generally take to complete the 7 mile gorge trail hike and then hike back to the tea table?
Seems quite a bit of walking for my gf. Any transportation available back? Any better places to park to avoid such a long walk back? Just trying to plan out the whole day and trying to figure out a good time to get to the park to do the hike if we are going to get the rest of our day done. If you had one day at Letchworth, what would you do? Thanks for all your feedback.
Matt
President
President

7 mile from the Tea Table to the Glen Iris Portageville?... I did that.. and it more like 3 miles... It does take a long time.... just because there are so many stops along the way. Should take between 1 and two hours with not that much to it.
Matt
President
President

A police officer and a sheriff's deputy in the Southern Tier were injured attempting to rescue a woman threatening to jump into the gorge at Letchworth State Park. The rescue team plunged 70 feet down the gorge when the woman lept as rescuers grabbed on to her to bring her to safety. All three suffered injures and had to be rescued by the Letchworth Park Rope Rescue Team. Eyewitness News Photojournalist Adam Francis will have the full story on Eyewitness News at 6pm.
http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/59616402.html