Whitewater rafting at Letchworth

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

The last few years I've been organizing a whitewater rafting trip through Adventure Calls, a local rafting outfitter. This year I'm planning a trip to Letchworth on a Saturday morning in mid to late May. Since I think many of you are in the Rochester area, I'd like to extend an invitation to everyone in this forum. Just in case the response to this post is overwhelming, I'll be willing to organize a 2nd trip aside from my regular group just for the forum.

Here are the details.
$30 per person for the trip. If the weather is bad, $6 for wetsuit rental.
The trip usually lasts 2-4 hours so you can easily be home for dinner in case you have other plans that night.

I think this might be a great way for many of us to finally meet in person (if any of you haven't already). And maybe will be the first of many group activities off this forum. As for waterfalls... the put in is just downstream from the lower falls (obviously) :) and we will paddle past many intermittent falls such as the Three Sisters and Cinderella Cascade.

If anyone is interested, please email me offlist at [email protected] and we can also use this topic to discuss the details of the trip.

Check out the website http://www.adventure-calls.com/rafting.html
for more details. If you like what you see, browse around there some more. Adventure Calls offers a lot of fun outdoor related things to do during the summer months.

Chris
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I can't commit around that time frame because I may be in florida, and I won't know for until close to the begining of may if I will be or not.
Regardless I'll see what I can do to come along. Now is this something anyone could do? My wife may be interested. We've never done this before.
cbobcat49

Anyone who is reasonably physically fit can raft. You really shouldn't go if you're really small (children or under 80 pounds), or if you're very obese. Also pregnant women should not raft.

Chris
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

obese people can't go?
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
cbobcat49

uh, yeah. Something to do with proper weight distribution in the raft.
Not sure if you're joking or not. :roll:
You can email [email protected] for details on that.

Chris
cbobcat49

I completely forgot to mention.... Probably the highlight of the trip... from a falls point of view.... is a stop at Paddler's Cascade. (This is the name Adventure Calls calls it.) This falls is Wolf Creek's very last 50 (+-) foot plunge into the river. The ONLY way to see this falls is if you've got a boat. (raft in the spring or a canoe during flatter water) Wolf Creek has a series of falls on it. The upper most ones can be seen easily from a trail near the Wolf Creek picnic area. Then the creek disappears from view into the gorge below.

On our raft trip, we'll "pull over" where Wolf Creek enters the river. Only a 10 foot wide narrow crack in the rock at this point, creekwalk in about 100 feet until the creek bends 90 degrees to the left, and there it is. The only way you can see this falls is up close and personal. It's not visible from up above and it's not visible from the river.

Chris
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

When do we tumble over lowers falls? that's what I'm looking forward to.
cbobcat49

I think they used to do that but their client base was getting killed off or something. :lol: