Winter Hiking - footwear

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

What do you recommend for winter hiking footwear?
Socks and shoes. I need to wear something other than my Scetchers.
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

Since I've never been one to venture to far in the cold, I too would be interested in what will keep my feet dry and warm. I plan on doing more hiking this winter since I've caught the photography bug.
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

My feet tend to get real cold real easily. So my Thorlo socks that I normally wear for hiking and then a pair of wool socks over those. That's the combo I wear whitewater rafting too. :) (if the weather is supposed to be chilly that day.) Then I'll just wear normal hiking boots.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I wear my hiking shoes which were fitted while wearing heavy socks. In the winter my feet stay warm and other times the socks wick away the moisture thus keeping my feel cool. If I know I'll be on snowshoes for most of the hike then I'll wear my snow boots. Most of the time I wear my shoes because I'll be bare booting, snowshoeing, and useing crampons all on the same hike.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
shadow0000

Winter Boots
If your hiking takes you out when the temperatures are much below freezing, you'll want to consider two other categories of footwear: pac boots and what I'll call winter hiking boots.

Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Another thing to remember is if your hiking in the Adirondacks your requires to use snow shoes or skis with more than 6" of snow(give or take a couple inches) on the ground.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview