Now a 46er

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

235 visitors in one week. :up:
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thank You Dan,

Good job Matt I've gotten many emails stating how nice the pictures look and what a great article :up: :up:
not to mention that the link was passed on to others.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Now its official I got my 46er number yesterday, I’m #6375. I’m one of 173 reported people who finished the 46 peaks in 2008.

I’ve been asked by people why I climbed peaks with no view, why waste all that energy and time to see nothing? Just to get my name in a record book?

My answer to them is why climb a mountain with an open summit? Just to see what’s around it, if that’s the only reason then you’re missing what the mountains have to offer!!

To summit and have a view is a bonus to the adventure it took to get there. The adventure of who you meet, the people your with, the changing weather, the animals you see or don’t see, the diversity of the forest, the river creeks and streams that flow thru it, out cropping of rocks, the remains of logging camps or homesteads of years gone by, old growth woods, damage from mother nature and the rebirth from that damage, the huge boulders sitting on top of a mountain or in the middle of the woods with trees growing on them! Then ask yourself how did that get here, what happened here, wonder what the people were like that lived and worked here, where does this stream end up?

By the time I’m done asking and explaining my reason hopefully the next time that person walks in the woods or climbs a mountain they open their eyes and mind to what’s around them, maybe then they’ll see it my way.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Jim, you're getting famous:
on the first page of google search for "adirondack 46er" and climbing
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

cool
hope it brings more hits to NYfalls
my flickr gallery
46er interview
olmstead
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 20D

This might seem like a ridiculous question, but how many years did it take to get all 46? 10 years? More less?
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Dan
it took me 6 years to climb the required 46 peaks, I climbed more than that and one of those years I went to Colorado, and New Mexico on a backpacking trip thus didn't climb many here.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
olmstead
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Canon 20D

backpacker wrote:Dan
it took me 6 years to climb the required 46 peaks, I climbed more than that and one of those years I went to Colorado, and New Mexico on a backpacking trip thus didn't climb many here.
It's an amazing accomplishment, that's for sure. I've done 6 or 7 of the high peaks at various points in my life, and toyed with the idea of a 46'er plan buI never followed through, no more time at this point. Thanks for sharing your experience, though!