Now a 46er

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Here’s a link to the article on the man that ran the 46 peaks.

http://outside.away.com/outside/news/he ... 701_1.html
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
rem05749
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Nikon D90 and D40

Matt wrote:Does it still count if I pay someone to rickshaw me up those?
I second that idea or could I just photoshop myself on the peaks.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

rem05749 wrote:
Matt wrote:Does it still count if I pay someone to rickshaw me up those?
I second that idea or could I just photoshop myself on the peaks.

Sorry folks that wouldn't count. ;)
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Mark J
Senior
Senior

Jim,

Congratulations on this fabulous achievement. No easy fete -- and not easy on the feet! (Very small joke.)

I actually became a waterfall seeker while attempting to hike Mt Liberty in New Hampshire in 1994 on the Falling Waters Trail. I realized that I could take in three or four waterfalls in one day, breaking up my hiking into shorter chunks, rather than make the constant one-foot-in-front-of the-other effort all day long, with the first half going uphill. This was also a lot more agreeable to my hiking partners -- my kids. So I haven't climbed too many mountains. But I did climb Mt. Chorocua here in NH a couple weeks ago -- 3,490 feet. An eight mile round trip to a spectacular view that's worth every step.

This site does not have a tremendous amount of info on Adirondack waterfalls. Possibly you have some pics or trip reports to share at some point. I did a week in the Adirondacks four or five summers ago, it was great. Only downside was a lack of NY state campgrounds. We stayed in a private campground in Au Sable that was below par. Congrats again and thanks for posting.

Mark J
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thank you Mark,
Yes there is a lot of waterfalls in the Adirondack Park, I have pictures of some and there are many I want to go to or go back to and get some good shots. When I was working on the 46 peaks we didn’t stop long for pictures in fact I was always in the back so I could take pictures and then catch up with my partner(s). I will be working on an Adirondack page with a slide show; hopefully I can start it this week. There are a lot of state camp sites within the park but not many in the High Peaks area. But not far from most trail heads are Lean-to’s and tenting area, with no showers or flushers of course.

Congratulation on climbing Mt. Chorocua, even the mountains with treed summits has a view at some point, I do remember a few mountains where we could see nothing due to the snow or fog, but that still made it interesting. 8 miles is a good hike with kids, when we were doing multiple peaks it was nothing to hike 14 plus miles, but I’d say 8-10 miles would be the average trip distance.

There are two falls I really want to photograph, Hanging Spear and a set of 4 falls on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River outside of Whitehouse. Both have miles to cover but the reward should be great.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Mark J
Senior
Senior

The peak of Mt Chorocua in New Hampshire is actually a few hundred feet above the treeline. The Brook Trail from the Ossippee side features dozens of small waterfalls; the parallel Liberty trail is not quite as scenic but is significantly less traveled if you prefer solitude. The Champney Falls trail from the Kangamagus side is the prefered route for waterfall seekers, and the climate is cooler due to being on the north face.

I'll look forward to your future posts, Jim.

Mark J
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Incredible Jim! Congratulations!! :mrgreen:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

thanks Kelly
Matt and I have been working on this,
our results will be out soon
my flickr gallery
46er interview