Northville Lake Placid Trail

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

The Northville-Placid Trail, better known as the NP trail was started in 1922 and completed by the end of 1923. The trail is 133 miles long and was designed to follow the lowland areas thru the Adirondacks. The original ends were the villages of Northville and Lake Placid, now the southern end is in Upper Benson and the Northern end is a DEC sign about 4 miles south of Lake Placid on Averyville Rd. The highest point (3008 ft) is a saddle near Blue Mountain Lake with a vertical gain of 1165 ft from Tirrell Pound. Upper Benson is 760 ft while the DEC sign near Placid is 1775ft. The trail has four road crossings two on black top, the longest is 6.75 miles on gravel near the Cedar River Flow. There is one area that is on private land and only thru hikers are allowed (due to careless hikers). The DEC is rerouting the trail onto state land. There is a lot of history connected to this trail and the trail passes two of the Dacks famous men hermit Noah John Rondeau and a trapper named Louis Seymour better known as French Louie.

I have many fond memories of this hike which took me four years to complete. The best drinking water in the Adirondacks is still the Cold River. I also experienced an earthquake while passing thru the Tirrell Pound area. It was May 12, 2002 we had just gotten up to get the day started. The earth quake sounded like jets flying up the valley we were looking to see if we could spot them when the ground started shaking then we knew what it really was. You also meet many people on the trail it’s great to spend a few minutes on the trail or hours at the campfire talking to others that enjoy what you enjoy.

The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It sounds and looks wonderful!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That looks like an awesome trail. I'll never get Shana onto that bridge...what does it span?
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

The cable bridge spans the Sacandaga river the wooden on spans the outlet from Duck Hole.
Their are plenty of bridges in the dacks, some are better build then others and some you wonder how they got the material in to build them.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview