State Parks

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Does anybody know about State parks.com? http://www.stateparks.com/

You can register and upload photos then they decide if your pictures go out online.
I checked out New York and 3 other states and they have less than 4 parks with pictures?? Maybe their a new web site or copy right is not protected?
Any one no anything about this before I sent them some pictures.

Backpacker
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Huh, never heard of them before. I have to say that I'm not at all impressed by the Watkins Glen photo. I think that even I could do better than that.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

It's odd that theres only 1 or 2 pictures for Watkins Glen, and yes I agree it's not a good picture.

One park I looked at did have 5 pictures posted all by the same person.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I came across them when researching and I have found their plagerism to be rampant and the info they have to be sketchy and almost humorous. So I tend to ignore them.

We'll be covering state parks next year, so then they will be competators. Unless they get their act together, I'm not all that worried.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

It's nice to at least see a listing of all the NY State parks. I need to investigate them more.

And although I haven't been to many, I'm more of a National Park fan. I have an uncle who lives in Wyoming and if I can save the coin, I might head out there in the spring. I really want to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Is there a site that details national parks? I need to decide which one to do next.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

National Park Service

NPS park listings

Looks like an independent site

I know our state parks have some beauty, but there's something about National Parks. Either way, I need to start investigating both a little more!
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

One thing that I noticed about the state parks site (which is just me nit-picking), is that they didn't differentiate between state parks and national wildlife refuges. Yes, Montezuma is listed as MNWR, but it really shouldn't be lumped in with the state parks. It's just a pet peeve of mine; like calling the Finger Lakes National Forest a state park.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com