Summer Camp

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

My Son's Letter From Camp Was NOT What I Expected

Last year my 8-year-old son went to summer camp. It was the first time he had been away from home for more than a night. An hour after he left, I missed him. By the time I went to bed, I found myself wandering into his bedroom, just to feel close to him. As the days passed, I wrote to him daily. Each hour dragged as I'd wait for the mailman, hoping and praying for just one letter from him. By that point I missed him so much, I began to imagine what he might write to me. I fantasized I'd receive a letter something like this:

Dear Mom,

Thank you so much for letting me go to camp. I have learned so many cool things, like how to take a fish off the hook, tie sailing knots, and even how to groom a horse. Thanks for packing the sunscreen. I've been out on the lake a lot, so it has really come in handy. You sure think of everything! Since it's been so hot, I've been drinking tons of water! See? I really listen to all your good advice.

The other boys here are really smart and nice. I'm making some lifelong friends I will cherish forever. We've had fun learning camp songs, playing cards, and catching frogs in our free time. During quiet time, I read the book you sent along. What a great selection! And just because you're my mom, I made a special gift for you in arts and crafts!

I'm trying a lot of new foods, just like you suggested. You were right, the oatmeal at breakfast really isn't bad when I add raisins. And don't worry, Mom, I've been using all the manners you've taught me over the years.

We are camping under the stars tonight. I hope to see fireflies.

I love you,

W

xxoo

P.S. Tell my brothers I miss them!

Yesterday I received a letter. It's just slightly different from what I imagined:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Priceless! Did you go to camp, Kelly? I did. Egypt Valley--two years in a row. The first year I went for cycling and the second year I went for horseback riding. The first year totally sucked. The second year was much better, except that I got so attached to my horse that I cried when I had to leave.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Kelly
Editor
Editor

I did! Several summers - not sure how many.

I went to Camp Whitman which I think was, and still is - on Seneca Lake. Also 4-H camp and I don't actually even recall where that was. Maybe at Stony Brook State Park or perhaps nearby. I know we swam in one of the natural swimming areas there. Yeah - Googling it, I see there was one there. Must have been it.

I was definitely not a fan of camps. My parents wanted me to enjoy myself, of course, so I always told them I did. But I was homesick and couldn't wait to leave!

Now I would love to go! Ha ha!

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Oh. Almost forgot. I also went to cheerleading camp - but by that time I was older - in high school - and loved it. It was on Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks. Rah. Rah. 8) :lol:

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I never had the camp experience. :(
I heard there were some awesome ones in the region too. All my school friends would be talking about camp for the first month of school. I just played little league.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Our Boy Scout troop went here every summer and I was counselor summer of 1991.

http://www.campmerz.org/
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau