cheapest auto insurance company for upstate new york?

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

havohuj
Rookie

nice to meet u all here :)
i just moved to rochester area from california... can't wait to enjoy the great outdoors here!

i need to buy a new car and that means auto insurance.

who do i use here? in cali we used wawanesa which was a local company they don't have here. who should i use in upstate NY?
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Welcome to NY and NYFalls.com.

You didn't mention your gender, marital staus or your approximate age. All of that's going to matter. Some places won't even talk to you if you are a single male under 30. :|

You could look into Geico or Progressive. Both have websites where you can get quotes once you have secured a vehicle. Coverage will take effect immediately in most cases.

I've had the same company (Allstate) for 30 years. Recently got a Geico quote and am planning to switch. Premiums will be about 1/3 of my current premiums. Yes! 1/3!

Many of my friends use Geico and from what I can tell, they handle claims beautifully!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Welcome!
I do a shop-around every year when mine cones up. Some odd no-name ones would come up for a while but the last 4-5 years has been consistently geico. and I'm happy with their support so far. Never been in an accident though. I have Safeco for Renters insurance. Even when they combine the policies (Esurance.com) it's not nearly as low as Geico.
If you are an AAA member, you can get discounts on some providers, but also you can call them and they can shop around for you to find the best price.
In New York State we have the 10% insurance reduction for taking the course, which can be done online. $15 + 6 hours of your time = 3 years of 10% off your insurance (no matter the provider)
http://www.newyorksafetycouncil.com/
havohuj
Rookie

thanks kelly.. i'm a 25 year old female.. single.. and good driving record
havohuj
Rookie

thanks matt... definitely gonna do the safety course.

i remember not having much luck with geico and esurance back in cali and ended up going with a local company. (but maybe that's cause i was so young last time i looked??)

how are these guys - http://www.newyorkmotorinsurance.com just filled out there form online and got a call for them offering me $45/month liability coverage... hmmmm... that's cheaper than what I was paying out in cali!

by the way, where did u take that picture with the panda? I want!!!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Never heard of that company, but i see they do have quite a few local agents.

The Panda pic was taken at the Panda Research/Breeding Center in Chengdu, China.