Gasland

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

hobkyl wrote:Seeing as my comment on another thread was removed as being "non-relevant crap" despite it being very relevant to someone's "stance" on environmental impacts...I will keep it short and simple here.
Kyle, ALL of the comments that weren't pertinent to skydiving were removed from that thread. I asked you nicely to keep the other thread from turning into yet another environmental debate and you chose to ignore my request. I don't care what you post as long as it is on topic. I will not have every thread on this forum turned into a bunch of personal bickering. There will be no more warnings to anyone.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I know several here will immediately dismiss this as industry lies without giving it a chance. However, as someone who knows he doesn't know all the pros and cons of this controversy, I feel it important to share this to represent the other side of the story.

Truthland, the industry's response to Gasland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJaaeiuzSU
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Some energy companies give up on fracking in New York
Rules, lack of progress cause many to give up on fracking
8:12 PM, Dec 2, 2012
Written by
Andrew Casler

ITHACA — As energy companies show diminished interest in high-volume hydraulic fracturing in New York, the Tompkins County Courthouse is being flooded with paperwork showing a rapid increase in expiring gas leases.

At the root of this trend are the state Department of EnvironmentalConservation’s four-year drilling moratorium and the threat of potentially tough regulations, according to Jim Smith, spokesman for the Independent Oil and Gas Association of New York. Smith’s organization offers public-relations work for oil and gas companies.

“If you go to a meeting where there’s a majority of our members, they will tell you that the opportunities are not here in New York right now,” Smith said. “They will tell you that the opportunities are in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and not New York, and that’s not a knock, that’s just a fact.”

After launching an environmental review of hydrofracking in 2008, the DEC had faced a deadline of last Thursday for finalizing proposed regulations. But late Wednesday, the department filed for a 90-day extension, which requires a “substantially revised” set of proposals and a further 30 days of public comment.

In recent years, more than 30 municipalities in upstate New York have passed bans on gas drilling, and more than 80 have enacted moratoriums, the Associated Press reported in July.

Thomas West, an attorney for Anschutz Exploration Corp., said the company is, by and large, cutting its losses in New York.
Read more here: http://www.theithacajournal.com/article ... ck_check=1

:funkydance:
hobkyl

MV5BMTQxNDYzNzgyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU0NTI1OA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg
MV5BMTQxNDYzNzgyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU0NTI1OA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 2366 times

http://youtu.be/AHQt1NAkhIo
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I do not know any of you personally and realize this is an old topic, however I thought I might stir the fire a bit...

I personally have not determined if fracking is safe or not, but I do think we should look at the facts.

1) Like Kyle said we all are using electric and fossil fuels in someway so we can't instantly rule out a new source of energy.
2) Both sides have something to gain fiscally in the debate of safe or not. We all know the gas companies and everyone involved are making money, but so are everyone involved with Gasland and all of the media against the fracking.
3) Have any of you that are so against fracking actually visited a fracking location? Our family cabin is in northern PA in a fracking zone. No we have not allowed fracking and are not planning on allowing fracking on our property, however I have not personally experienced any negative affects in the area. Not saying that there are zero instances of problems, but what energy source does not have accidents other than solar power and how many of us are exclusively using solar?
4) I personally know of a family in the fracking area that their water is polluted with natural gas. The catch is, it was that way before fracking was even possible. So how many of these families that are contaminated are actually from fracking and how many of them are just trying to profit off of an easy escape goat? Remember the areas that they are in are rich in natural gas, hence the fracking.
5) If people are really against fracking then why is it okay for it to be in someone else's backyard?
6) Do I trust fracking? No, and I am not trying to push it, however I am not strongly apposed to it and would not blast someone for supporting it. I believe Kyle is an outdoor enthusiast, and cares about the environment as much as any of us. So until you can answer that you are strictly using solar power, stopped using fossil fuels, do not travel on road ways, know people that live in a fracking zone and were not experiencing problems before fracking and now are, then maybe you can insult Kyle and put yourself on a higher level than him.

I can remember thinking that Bush had something to do with the rise in gas prices, or at least could have helped to lower prices. Then Obama came in to power and gas prices have gone up and down but have stuck around at a high price. My point is you can't always assume that you know and/or are being told the truth on everything. There are always two sides to every story and even a third and fourth at times.
hobkyl

Thanks Des.

:popcorn:
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Des, I have zero interest in re-hashing this with you or anyone else. The lines on this issue have been pretty clearly drawn for some time now. I will say that fracking is not okay in anyone's backyard. There are people out there, like myself, who are working toward sustainable solutions. It is nice to see that Kyle is developing a fan base, but anyone who truly "cares about the environment" would never support fracking.