Release of Liability Form

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Even if you sign a waiver, it cannot absolve given rights you have under the law of the US and local governments that protect your rights.
You also are still legally entitled to any damages due to negligence and code violations on the part of the landowner. Additionally the landowner can be criminally prosecuted for such violations.
Also, even if there is an accident, expensive chopper rescue, search teams and whatnot, even with a legal waiver signed, the landowner will probably still have to hire a lawyer just for advisement, endure the emotional stress of having such an incident happen at their home or work, and insurance can and probably will increase if it is reported.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yeah agree with Matt,
Attorneys don't want to have told a landowner "sure no problem," only to have some expected issue come up on the property, or have some luny judge make a crazy decision. I do think this form is solid for the landowner, but yes we all know crazy legal decisions happen. Or the perception that crazy legal decisions could happen may make a landowner say "why take the chance, I get nothing out of it. Worst case scenario I might have to hire an attorney just to defend me against an unfounded lawsuit which any reasonable judge will then just throw out."

Seems to me offering the release up front and an offer of some pictures (include your website) may overcome those concerns.Someone here on the forum calmed a barn owner who saw his barn on postcards being sold. They offered some of those cards even though he/she was totally legal to have taken the picture. Brilliance, problem gone.

Bottom line. Nothing is without risk in life. I do think this form is well done. david
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

What is the verdict on vacant rural land? Who owns it? Can anyone prosecute if you enter the vacant rural land per the counties tax maps? I believe Matt (champy) used vacant rural land to access Oak Tree Falls?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

ASK Permission Form

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/ask.pdf

Seems to sum up everything in a short blurb.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

good resource. thanks
hobkyl

Hmm, any idea why the original file isn't accessible? Word is telling me it is corrupted. I'll have to check to see if I have the original at home.

95 downloads...where's all the new falls?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

I get a message saying the document is corrupted. It used to work. Not sure why it doesn't now.