Tattoos

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Using your reasoning, Matt, cosmetic surgery - including breast implants - would be reckless as well, correct? Or is it only reckless if it involves job prospects being slim?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

reckless when it makes you an outcast and destroys prospects, personal or professional, and the choices made to bring it to that point, are repeated over time.
There is no doubt in my mind that these decisions are made in order to NOT fit in to societal norms. And it works! Congrats... now they have to live with it the rest of their lives. It's a permanent decision. And thus decided to eliminate themselves from most jobs for the rest of their lives. Also.. that guy, if he doesn't die from tetanus, and can find someone to reproduce with, will be the creepiest grampa in 60 years.

And yes...
this is equally as repulsive...
Although the intentions are probably TO fit in.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

black stars too.. from a distance, she looks like she has a disease
Matt
President
President

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

:rubeyes: :puke:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
gardengirl13
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: OMD-EM5

Kelly wrote:I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. Where I do draw the line is when you or anyone else calls them "stupid" or "idots". If any of these people showed up on one of our outings, would you shun them simply because of how they look - or would you at least give them a chance? That's really all I'm saying. They're people who made a sequence of choices that you or I would not make. So what? They surely won't get jobs as doctors, lawyers, pharmacists or police officers - but that has no bearing on your life - and it doesn't make them stupid.

I'm not religious in any way, shape or form - but I do think every human deserves the benefit of any doubt until they've intentionally hurt me or someone else.

Would I be shunned? I get stares all the time. As I said in my other post, I have lots of tattoos according to you guys. My left leg from ankle to knee is almost covered, the right has a band and a celtic knot. My lower back has some symbols, my upper back has chinese characters, my arms are working on going from shoulder to elbow. I have three on my chest. A good size one on my right thigh and there will be another on my left. No piercings though. I had my nose done years ago but it bothered me a bit, I think I may have been allergic to the metal, I wish I had changed to titanium to see if it got better. Walking aorund the hudson valley where the yuppies are plentiful they look at me like I'm a freak. Really? I have a great job (I'm a dean's assistant at a prestigious college,) I pay my taxes, I donate money to charity, I garden, I'm normal. Just because I feel the need to express myself doesn't mean I'm stupid or an idiot. My husband is covered in tattoos as well, he's a web master and getting his MLIS (he will have two masters degrees,) no one is that bothered by him. Of course the archivist from RPI (I think that's where he was from) took a double take or two, but once he started talking with my husband he loved him and got along great.

And just another tidbit, my dentist, dr, and pharmacist all have small somewhat visible tattoos. My mother had small ones on her ankles when she worked for social services and the ARC. My father had them on his forearms when he worked for the department of corrections and the county. All good jobs.

Basically never judge. If you saw me on the street you'd stare and automatically hate me for how I look. And those of you who know me here know that that is a rash harsh judgment of me.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Personally, I can't wait to see your tattoos in person, gardengirl! :up:

The thing is, this topic started out as a "tattoo" conversation (and yes people from all walks of life - even the Pope for all I care - can have tattoos and still be considered normal), and then it quickly spun off the highway and we encountered piercings and "appliances" including steak knives, stuck in uncomfortable places. Show me a (real) doctor in a real work environment, with those items attached above his neck, and I'll bring you a crisp $50 bill when I see you! ;)

But mostly - bravo to you for speaking up.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic