Little Things that you LOVE

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Well while I would like to believe I'm the #1 fan....I am far from it. Merely one of thousands. You should come out Saturday for the championship!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

You know what I love, Kyle!? Seeing you all gussied up in beads! :up: ;)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Hoping ro go the extra mile this Saturday, stay tuned.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Helping to pay for less fortunate people's health and well-being. 8)
cascade
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Nikon D70S Nikon D90

Tree-rings prove climate was WARMER in Roman and Medieval times than it is now - and world has been cooling for 2,000 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z20M5gFFG8
Matt
President
President

Tree rings hypothesize, not prove. Tree ring "science" is not an exact science because the pressures from growth and drought change the shape and thickness of inner rings, making the earliest ones distorted and not accurate for measurement.

Besides that fact, this tabloid article states no source, no author, not even the name of the study. How do you know it's true?
Do you also know that this cooling trend is in line with and included in global warming models? The earth is cooling because its core is cooling...its the recent acceleration since the industrial revolution and how fast it is warming now what is very unusual, and very dangerous. Luckily before the industrial revolution we were able to record temperature a lot more accurately than tree cross sections, so we can provide a bit more solid evidence of the increase in temperature.

Anyways, before getting excited about a study, no matter what side it's on... check the source, and if it's a scientific study, check to make sure it is published under peer review. This tabloid article is just fodder for one side, not a summation of the conclusions of an article, which is why they hide both the article's author AND the study name and publication itself.

I was published in a scientific journal, and peer review is very difficult, All sources and all methods are highly scrutinized. Any flaws in the logic, bias in the method, or any politics in the conclusions will result in a rejection. People that get rejected send their conclusions to tabloids and allow the business that funded them to press release them in hopes of a copywriter picking them up to fill in on slow news days.

Always open the study and read the abstract for an idea of the truth. Published scientific studies rarely claim to PROVE anything (people that want to distort them use that term), and they also rarely CONCLUDE anything too.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I spent endless hours aging fish scales from various species under a microscope on rainy days when I worked in fisheries. As with trees, the growth rings are used to provide an estimate of age. There are so many factors that can affect their appearance! While it is a useful tool, it's not an exact science.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

Also, in the case of tree cross-sections, and this study doesn't really say where the trees were gathered from, your sample size is limited by availability. For example... you can't create what is considered a fair survey... why? Because you cannot go around cutting down all the trees across the world to get a fair sample. There are ones on private property, there are protected ones, there are locations where trees no longer exist. For all we know... the climate of the regions sampled changed... which happens, and we generally already know that.
If the samples are fossilized or pre-cut and preserved, then I don't even want to get into the ridiculousness of using such a limited and biased sample for scientific study.

Even in NY, the climate has cooled significantly over that time, and that is all included in models that hint towards global warming. So if we did this study across NY, we would show extreme dips in temperature over that time. Do the study in Arizona, and you'll see the opposite.
Pick the right combination of states, or countries, you'll show warming. Pick others, you'll show cooling. It all depends on what oil company or environmental group is paying for the study ;)