VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The state actually already knows that. The oil companies know it. It has been known for a long time.
The issue is... that the drilling companies say they will pay for cleanup. That's the reason for the official assessments and the main reason why it was approved in NY.

They will never. Historically, mining and drilling companies never pay for cleanup (that is unless they are caught in the act of a disaster (Exxon, BP). That is their business model. They create a new corporation. Run the operation under that corporation. If there are any lawsuits against the corporation, they delay, delay, delay. When then mining operation is complete, they liquidate and declare bankruptcy, absolving them from liability and the taxpayers pay for cleanup--- potentially robbing them of all revenue generated from the mining operation in the first place. This has happened thousands of times. There are no laws from preventing it from happening. And it WILL happen with fracking. I guarantee it and will bet everything i own on it.
NY needs a law stating that parent corporations or buyouts are responsible for clean-up and public health of all subsidiary and past operations. But if that happens, I guarantee you no oil or drilling company will have any interest in drilling anywhere near NY.
Matt
President
President

Panel's meetings on hold as DEC reviews fracking comments
ALBANY — The state's hydrofracking advisory panel is in flux as the Department of Environmental Conservation wades through tens of thousands of public responses it received on the much-debated drilling technique.

The work of the panel is considered crucial if the state is to move forward with hydrofracking. It was set to meet three times through April, but now that schedule is under review, said agency spokeswoman Emily DeSantis.

"We are reviewing that schedule as our primary focus is currently on reviewing the public comments," DeSantis wrote in an email.

The panel is composed of 18 representatives from various groups as well as former and current elected officials. They are tasked with coming up with a new fee structure to generate state revenue from a potential gas-drilling boom.

The panel hasn't met since Dec. 20, and two January meetings were canceled. Since its launch in August, it has met a total of six times behind closed doors and postponed four meetings.
More here...
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... |text|Home
Matt
President
President

Uh oh---
pretty reliable source on this.

State blames earthquakes on well

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/0 ... -well.html

Basically, it says the scale of this well and the presence of a unknown fault is the leading cause of local seismic activity.
Matt
President
President

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

A while back, I received a survey in the mail from either my state assemblyperson or senator, forget which. I was just going to throw it away as the usual waste of time & paper as the questions at the top were the usual, like, do you support more state support for veterans, and should counties be responsible for medicare? Or something to the effect, anyway, most seemed to be the type of thing that any reasonable person would support. Then, at the bottom was the one question about hydrofracking and the usual scale of 1 to 5 for or against. This made me think it was worth the time & stamp to send in, so of course I said against and sent it off. Not that it will make much difference, but there it is.
LGD
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Yes, I've seen it Matt.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau