I'm working on a... websitey... thing

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

trinitrotoluene
Rookie

I have probably about 15-20 thousand photos sitting around on my hard drive gathering virtual dust. A sizeable percentage of these are from waterfall hunting trips. I have not really shown them to anyone except family and friends because I am not a good photographer, although I've learned quite a bit about light and tripods and ND filters and how to clean spray off your lens and that sort of thing. Since I like waterfalls I therefore figured, if I'm going to inflict my photos on the world, I should also inflict bits of information I've remembered about said photos and how to get to a place where you can stand and take a better one if you're so inclined and the conditions are favourable.

Right now I have only a small selection of waterfalls, and some of those haven't been "constructed" yet. I know there are others I've visited, I just haven't yet located photos for them; still, the list isn't going to get a lot bigger unless I start including entries on other things, e.g. flowers or birds.

Since this kind of endeavour seems to appeal mostly to waterfall nerds like yourselves ( ;) ) I figured I should share it for suggestions, improvements, bits of information I've forgotten etc—especially the waterfalls in the USA were visited some years ago and a lot of information about directions and localities has slipped my mind, as I am going a bit senile in my old age. (Not really. I'm 22.)

http://245579.wix.com/randomcascades

Forgive the ads, this is currently on free hosting. I may eventually move it elsewhere if I finish it.

Shameless plug I know, but I hope some people's interest may be piqued.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think it's great!
I really like your large pics and also the ones to annotated with trail info.
And where is Niagara? You have to get that in the collection! ;)

How was New Zealand? I want to go there so much, but don't want to do a tour. I'm not sure how easy it would be on my own or with another non-native. Are hotels expensive?

randomcascades.com is available!

If you are looking for hosting, avoid Hostgator, my host. They suck and I plan on leaving them.
I will probably go with siteground soon.

Oh and be sure to get your website added to your profile signature to help promote it (User Control Panel / Profile).
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Wow! Very nice start on the websitey thing! You've done a good amount of traveling for a 22 year old! Fantastic.

No idea why you say you're not a good photographer! Some great compositions and wonderful colors in there!

Now that you've revealed your sense of humor, I hope you'll join in other topics as well. We have a pretty fun General Discussion area.

Nice to have you here! (Don't be a stranger!)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
trinitrotoluene
Rookie

Thanks for the comments! For some reason all my vertical shots got resized to 600x800, I haven't yet figured out how to fix that! Work in progress...

@Matt Well I still live in New Zealand, just on the other island. For the South Island, which is the one most people want to visit, the hardest part is probably getting around. I stayed mostly in hostels/backpackers—found in every settlement with more than fifty people or 50,000 sheep—where a bed (in a dorm room) is about NZ$30 a night. A private room is more like NZ$60-70, most of them do also have double rooms and that sort of thing, depending on how well you know the person you're traveling with ;) B&Bs are also fairly cheap. booking.com is a helpful resource. There are buses linking major cities/towns, but to get out of the towns into nature you'll need to rent a car (I didn't do that because I don't have a full driver's license yet x_x so I had to do mostly tours and guided hikes and that kind of thing.) and to have pretty good navigation skills.

I might change the name of the site later, so not looking for hosting just yet...

@ Kelly It's just that I still really don't know much about, like... exposure and metering and equipment and that sort of thing. I think I have a pretty good eye for composition, but then the photos don't usually turn out like I was hoping. :/ There's always time to learn though. I guess.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for the tips. I'm checking around booking.com and also marking places on a map. This may be my 2015 trip.