November Photo Challenge: Vegetables

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Thanks Matt. It a fisheye lens, which is one of favorites and I think it sometimes reproduces what I remember better as opposed to what I may have seen. Been a long since I was back here, although I have been keeping in touch with Mikell over at the book at least.

Finally returned to a multi-lens camera after a 30 year break in the interim. My cheap Kodak point and shoot days are over. Turns out I wasn't able to save that company by buying digital cameras from them.

In fact I keep intending to show up here, but then life happens. But vegetables and me, we go way back Here are more market shots...I keep intending to change that damn fisheye and yet it just won't unscrew itself and go back in the bag. But it gets the people with the veggies...although I like photos of either alone too.
Kohlrabi!
Kohlrabi!
Kohlrabii.jpg (534.36 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Leeks and Celery Root.
Leeks and Celery Root.
green onions.jpg (345.62 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
And then, the sun came out for the fruit...
Pears in Sunlight
Pears in Sunlight
Pears.jpg (335.7 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Damn!

The fisheye is the one lens I never wanted.

Now it's the next lens I want. What a great application for it. The distortion really works!

Seems to me it allows for a bit of sneakiness too! (Hate when people know I'm photographing them. Now I can catch their distorted and suspicious look at the same time I'm shooting the produce!)

Thanks so much for posting these.

You've got some awesome shots, Michael. I especially love the horse chestnuts before and the bowl of cherry tomatoes!

If you don't mind me asking.....what camera did you go for after giving up on reviving Kodak? ;)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

OH...MIchael! So good to see you back on this site...it's been awhile. You know I'm a big fan of your photos...and now, your vegetables too! ;)

Great shots...love those tomatoes!

(PS...snow doesn't kill SAGE. I go out at xmas time and pick it fresh for the turkey by digging it out of the snow bank in my backyard! )
Mikell
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Philip - do keep us posted if things don't improve. I've moved our discussion about the ads here: http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... 534#p66534

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Hey Kelly. Thanks, I always thought the fisheye was only useful one shot in a hundred...but then I started working with one again. This one is less distorting than others but how you use it affects that. It's a fairly cheap attachment for my Sony Nex 5-N with wide angle. Framing is something different than usual. It makes me remember my optics background** ....

Meanwhile back to the theme.... Here's an image that combines accidental fisheye distortion with two digital techniques unavailable to me "back in that day": HDR and Panoramic Stitching....about 9 photos went into this one, as I recall. And yes, there ARE vegetables growing in this place even in the winter...which is sort of like my Rouen Cathedral (see link below) The Fisheye effect came via the one of the Photoshop stitching algorithms and HDR due to Photomatix...which Mikell had introduced me too (BTW To Mikell Back at you with being a fan..you are right but real cold does make it drop its leaves and a hard winter will do in the Golden and Variegated Varieties even while leaving Common Sage to come back in the spring) Looking at the times, I probably spent about 5 hours creating this some two years after the shoot.
Lamberton in the winter following its Restored Dome.
Lamberton in the winter following its Restored Dome.
2010march7domev3sm12001.jpg (261.56 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
For more...See this link and slide show at the bottom..several real fish-eye photos in the final slideshow along with this digital induced one and more HDR (in camera and out)

** Back in the day, (early 1980s), my first job after college, I worked in a local software company that sold as a service, access to its flagship product - one of the finest lens design software in the world available at that time. I often had to bounce computer jobs across the planet to places like Israel or Hong Kong with each job submitting another via a hodge-podge Cyber Supercomputer Network that was still farther reaching than the pre-Internet Arpanet. Our software was very cool, I received catalogs and direct letters from most of the manufacturers of Optical Glass with complete data and loaded (retyped) each of their products basic characteristics into a table for use by the world wide community of lens designers...some of them doing work free lance work for the great SLR camera and other optics companies. I also converted a thin films coating design software package from one of those supercomputers to run a Pre-PC Personal Computer based on the VT100 terminal with a CPU board and disk drive added. Wild geeky optics stuff...this included programming to drive plotters for lens diagrams and ray tracing through intensive combos of glasses (elements ) and then to support designers of the best coatings (thin films) on these same creations. Stuff I helped maintain way back in those days...By that time I had already given up on a three different careers that I had tried. The scientific and engineering programming geek career has lasted now, though, for 33 years...22 on my own.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

What vegetables might say if they could speak to us...

;)
Attachments
veg talk.jpg
veg talk.jpg (196.39 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor

:mrgreen: :up:

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Not in the competition...because these shots were taken during one of our annual retreats to the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont....Still you might find them cool.
Attachments
Late Summer Rainbow Chard
Late Summer Rainbow Chard
Swisschard.jpg (549.07 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Purple Kohlrabi in the Gardens of Trapp
Purple Kohlrabi in the Gardens of Trapp
Purple Kohrabi.jpg (412.33 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Fennel in the Gardens of Trapp
Fennel in the Gardens of Trapp
Fennel.jpg (690.03 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Chard on the edge of the meadow
Chard on the edge of the meadow