October 2013 Photo Challenge: Leaves

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

I've spent most of my leaf photographing time lately...out of state and out of the country. Yesterday, I walked down the street after work just to take this picture for the challenge...and because I've been meaning to stop and shoot it for awhile. Every year, I admire this tree a few doors down. It's in its splendour right now.

Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wow.. a flood of great ones!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

rwelch715
Rookie
Camera Model: SONY a300 & a350

Taughannock Falls near Ithaca
Attachments
DSC03203-002.JPG (989.2 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Hey Matt, I think a new rule should be that you must say where the picture was from. Hint, hint.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Des219 wrote:Hey Matt, I think a new rule should be that you must say where the picture was from. Hint, hint.
I respectfully disagree. And impeccable timing. I was just having a conversation about this very idea. My feeling is that a good photograph answers questions. A great photograph creates new questions.

But....it's always been perfectly fine in the challenges to ask someone where a pic was taken. I just think it takes away some of the mystery/artistry to reveal too much.

We are on our honor to mark photos not taken in New York, so beyond that - just feel free to ask if you'd like to know. I wouldn't mind answering a direct question about a location, but I don't think it's necessary or important in a photo challenge setting to post any information aside from a photo. Nor should it ever be required. But do ask, if you're curious. For sure!

My 2 cents from my bedroom in Rochester, NY. ;)
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Kelly,

Do you ever sleep?

My thoughts are more that people come here to learn about waterfalls, at least initially, and it is helpful to learn where "water" pictures were taken.

I do understand the art side of your argument.
pjoakes
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: nikon

I have mixed feelings on that topic, but am leaning towards telling where it was taken with the posted image. I would like to know where some of these shots were taken so I could also visit the area, Such as Matts last post, Great shot Matt, I really like the natural sidewalk on the right hand side, where was this taken? Because I would like to visit the area. On the other side I was questioned where in New York was that taken, and I felt as though they were doubting it was taken in New York State. Maybe it was just how it was worded, but I was a bit offended that they were doubting it was in New York. We are all on the honor system here. A few weeks ago I was shooting along the Vermont/New York border going back and forth between the 2 states so I decided not to use any images from that day becasue I was not sure when I was in Vermont and when I was in New York.