September 2013 Photo Challenge: Blue

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The purpose of these challenges is to encourage us to get out and get the best shot of an assigned subject. It's a great way to enhance your photography skills.
Even if you think you take crappy pictures, please join in. Those of you just reading the forum and not posting, this is your chance to join in and show off.

[important]These challenges are always open to your personal interpretation of the topic. Don't feel obligated to take anything literally. Thinking differently than everyone else might be what puts that trophy in your hot little hands. Good luck![/important]

This month's challenge: "Blue"

Only rules:
It has to be taken by you.
It has to be taken in Upstate NY. *

A winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
-freshness (have we seen it somewhere before or did you take it just for this challenge? - we prefer the latter!)
-frame
-subject
-creativity
-use of color (or lack thereof)
-uniqueness

* Photos taken outside of Upstate NY are welcome for display as long as they are labeled as such.
tracelyn
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 7D

My rendition of "Blue" is the beautiful Owasco Lake. This is the boat canal from the launch to the lake. I was standing on the little foot bridge next to the parking lot of Emerson Park.
Please do not copy or post this photo anywhere else. If you would like a copy, it is for sale at my smug mug website. tracelyndesign.smugmug.com
Please do not copy or post this photo anywhere else. If you would like a copy, it is for sale at my smug mug website. tracelyndesign.smugmug.com
boatcanaltoowascolakelowres.jpg (519.79 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
tracelyn design
photo gallery: tracelyndesign.smugmug.com
camera: Canon 7D
lens: all canons 100-400 mm, 10-22 mm, 60 mm macro, 55-250mm, 18-55 mm
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Beautiful, Tracy! Welcome to the community! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Nice photo Tracy... A great start for the month.
tracelyn
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Thank you Kelly and Des.
Looking forward to seeing more renditions of blue from others!
tracelyn design
photo gallery: tracelyndesign.smugmug.com
camera: Canon 7D
lens: all canons 100-400 mm, 10-22 mm, 60 mm macro, 55-250mm, 18-55 mm
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

That's a really lovely image, Tracy. I've never been to Owasco Lake ...that makes me want to go see it. :)

How about the wild BLUE yonder?...what it must feel like when you are pulled into the blue sky over the blue water of Lake Ontario....as in this photo from our family parasailing adventures last weekend near Sodus Bay/Crescent Beach. I took about 100 photos and if you want to see more, including some spectacular wipe-outs on the beach...I posted a public Google+ album: https://plus.google.com/photos/11371125 ... 5oO714zydw

Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I have been shooting a lot of lakes recently, and this year has been especially blue. Not sure why... maybe the sky conditions and the added touch of blue-green algae blooms. ;)
Tracy... excellent shot! I have been there trying to get that exact same photo but couldn't get the light right.
Mikell... love that series. Especially the splashing and upside down? now that takes balls
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

I know it takes SOMETHING, Matt...but I was thinking more along the lines of having a screw loose! hahaha
Kevin has been doing this for years, so he's very experienced and that's his signature start to the flight...he immediately lets go and hangs upside down. However, he admitted after the flight this year that for some reason he hung on with one hand when he inverted instead of letting go with both...and was immediately glad he did, as the harness wasn't on tight enough and he was slipping completely out of it! If he hadn't been hanging on with one hand, the parasail would have continued on without him!! Wonder if anyone would have noticed! haha!!
Mikell