Lightroom Novice

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the General Discussion...but I wanted to post one of my first attempts to edit a RAW file with Lightroom 4 ...which I just got for xmas.
I know a few of you use Lightroom...so I'm looking for advice too.
I took this photo a couple of years ago...but I really didn't know much about editing RAW files and when I looked at it, seemed dull and uninteresting to me. I stopped shooting RAW after awhile and now that I have Lightroom, went back to find old photos to "play" with while I learn to use it. I was kind of amazed at how LR "develops" a photo. Now, I'm convinced that I need to be shooting RAW most of the time...if not all of the time. The difference between the original of this photo and what I ended up with is incredible to me.

I have more than 100,000 photos in Picasa, and I don't think I'll try to move them into LR ...vast majority are Jpegs. But I want to get started with new photos organized/saved in LR going forward...and would like some advice about getting started...workflow ideas...and any dos and donts. ....really any advice. I have a feeling it's going to be really good at getting my photos more organized and more searchable....for starters. I also have PS CS4 and will continue to use it too.

:) mikell
Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

You got some bold but natural colors out of that. It looks fantastic. What I found when I first moved to RAW that the ability to nudge White Points and thus change the White Balance (which can remove casts and help achieve accurate colors) is by far the killer feature of RAW. I use PS for editing JPGs and never liked Adobe Camera Raw so I never gave Lightroom a chance. I use CaptureOne for RAW and I'm comfortable with it. I may have to get Lightroom next time Amazon has a sale on it, and give it a shot. At the very least it can improve my organization and workflow.