Your 10 Best Photos of 2012

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

wow Matt - stunning. Love any of those shots for scale - that waterfall one is going to make me have to come down there this fall or spring to try that out. The China series is amazing - you really have a great eye picking these scenes out of the "din" so to say...
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thank you. I processed maybe half of my photos from 2012, but I'm very happy with the selection i made already. I'll trash the rest! ;)
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Kelly, thanks for directing me to this thread. It was quite enjoyable. Everyone did a great job and I hope I do not leave out anyone.

David, your 11th hour photo "Blow holes East End" is a great capture of water, light, and rocks.

Kelly, your carving hands probably is my favorite. Great detail in every photo!

Mikell, Wyatt and the Cat door is fun and well composed. Your husband shot shows character and personality well (possibly I would adjust the levels slightly in photoshop to bring out his face a little bit).

Jeduthan, aban erie canal looks like a cool place and so do many others that you have captured.

Kyle, Storyland is a great capture of light. Also, well titled.

Bremer, Diamond Point makes me want to go there. Very good photo.

A.D., Shenandoah way to tough the elements and keep the tripod stable. 60k photos!

Matt Champlin, Brown's Tract Pond is well balanced / composed / and interesting. Your panos are good too. Are they cropped or stitched? Either way very detailed and vibrant.

Cbobcat, Red House Sawmill is a great display of contrast / lighting / and detail.

Pinnicktabor, Green on Green is great. I love the color contrast even though it is green on green. Could easily be in a magazine.

Shutbug, Calf wrestler freezes the action well and is quite exciting.

Matt, probably Lower Falls would be my favorite. I am biased to waterfalls, especially when they are well exposed /composed / and show scale. Though Turn Left is quite good too. I saw it in one of your other posts and thought it was great.

I hope to contribute to 2013 and maybe if I dig my photos out of archive I will add 10/11 to 2012. Thanks, Dave
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Ah! You're most welcome, Dave! Very kind of you to take the time to comment on each person's best! I know you've been here for a while, but it's been wonderful to have you be such an active participant lately! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Nice comments, Dave...always appreciate it when someone takes that time to really look at photos here and consider them...and to actually share your thoughts.

I agree that the photo of my husband would be better with more details but unfortunately, it wasn't shot RAW and it was a terribly underexposed photo that I worked on for a very long time to bring out as much detail as I could. In the end, I was just happy to have salvaged it as well as I did since it was the personal emotional value it had to me. :)
Mikell
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Kelly, my pleasure participating on here. I originally found the site when searching for "NY waterfalls" can you imagine? The information was great and helped me find many places I never knew existed.

Mikell, I have many photos I wish were exposed differently or were shot in RAW but it is better to have a good photo than none at all. Your composition is great, and you captured him well. I tried playing with the image a little bit but with not much success. This is over done but it was an attempt.
Attachments
Alan.jpg
Alan.jpg (185.38 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Ya...I think that's probably a bit better. I kept trying not to blow out the background too much ...a losing proposition...but it was just the moment that I was after anyway...a photo that has more meaning for me than anything else. I certainly was going for technical greatness. Hahahaha! :)
Mikell
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I pulled 5 photos... not the most interesting or technically best for most here, but for me they are special. I did not have my high res images easily accessible so these were pulled from shutterfly.
Attachments
b12-IMG_5324.jpg
b12-IMG_5324.jpg (453.7 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
b12-IMG_4971.jpg
b12-IMG_4971.jpg (222.45 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
b12-IMG_5172.jpg
b12-IMG_5172.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
b12-IMG_4491.jpg
b12-IMG_4491.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
b12-IMG_4292.jpg
b12-IMG_4292.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 3249 times