Your 10 Best Photos of 2012

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Glad to see this thread come up again. Dave, Thanks for the wonderful comments.
I really like that first one. Wonderful composition with how you framed the artists with the detail of the scene. The bark on the tree, the golden leaves, the foreground rocks. It's a waterfall photos but you managed to make the waterfall the story behind the photo, rather than the immediate subject. I love that concept. Wonderful!
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

And this is the great part about having community members who originally joined because of their interest in waterfalls, gradually join in on other topics. We get some insight into each others' lives and have the potential to build a stronger community. :up:

Dave, I also love the autumn waterfall shot with the artists silhouetted against the white falling water! Are the shots of the child, your child? They are super! I also really like the train shot. Good choice for black and white.

Where in Pennsylvania do you live?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Kelly and Matt, thank you for viewing and commenting on the images. Yeah that Kaaterskill Falls photo is one of my favorites. I first went up and talked to the artists, they gave me permission to photograph them. When we got back to Bastion Falls it started to rain really hard. I wonder how they made out with their equipment and paintings.

Kelly, yes the pictures are of my daughter Claire. The first one was on the Chester River in MD. It was one of the first boat rides that she actually enjoyed. That is partially why I chose it for this post. The second one was at our neighborhood playground. It was so sunny that day that it made for a challenging photo. I through on my flash and was able to shoot with a wide aperture and super high speed shutter. Both of the images might be uncomfortably close, but I like that about them.

The train shot is at the Strasburg Railroad near Lancaster, PA. Anyone with a child that watches Thomas, would appreciate the Day with Thomas at Strasburg. They actually have a full size operational engine that looks like Thomas. They build them there and send them all over the country. We live in Lititz, PA which is part of Lancaster County.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Mikell wrote:Ya...I think that's probably a bit better. I kept trying not to blow out the background too much ...a losing proposition...but it was just the moment that I was after anyway...a photo that has more meaning for me than anything else. I certainly was going for technical greatness. Hahahaha! :)
Mikell,
I hope you do not mind that I played with the image. I think you are a very talented photographer and you have achieved much more than me in photography (I have received no publications or rewards). I just thought if I could help you with Photoshop I would. And your husband's photo is great. Well composed. He is off center to the right but balancing the photo with looking to the left and his arm to the left. The dark tree branches in the top left and the white water and sky in the right. His hand pulls your eyes down and then finally the dark glasses on his white shirt carry your eyes to the right (the "Z" theory).