Then and Now in Photos

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I know Matt posted an incredible set of combined then and now photos of Rochester.....and though this is not quite the same.....still pretty neat!

http://detroiturbex.com/content/schools ... index.html
By combining old photographs of the school with new views of the abandoned building, it offers us a look into two different times: one that shows a vibrant campus and one that shows empty ruins

The whole series here.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It's cool. I volunteered to do something (more like the Rochester one) for my college.
I think it definitely is more interesting when it's a familiar subject.

This would make a great photo challenge. Not so much the photoshopping part but just the recreation of an old photo.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

That is an amazing set of pictures of Detroit. Well done. Someone took some time with those.

Are we doomed to repeat history time and time again? Not really the political question is sounds like. Reading about the rise and fall of civilizations and thinking there are so many common threads/themes that cause the demise of a culture or civilization. Probably too deep a conversation here.

Great pics. Matt you should do this if you have an archive. Would go well with your other website of historic markers!
Matt
President
President

I was wondering if Detroit was the sign of things in decline for the USA. It certainly is a clear indication that not buying things produced in the USA can ruin cities.
But... who is to say that everything in the USA, including cities, are permanent. Many cities have come along since Detroit was established. If new cities can pop up, why can't older ones disappear? I think it is just the natural cycle of things rather than a sign of decline in the USA.
Now, if only Apple would open up one of those fancy new assembly plants in Detroit instead of CA.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

True that, about apple. Yes we are a global economy, yes protectionism (i believe facts show) does not raise standard of living. So with the massive change in our moral culture and work ethic in the last generation, i wonder if the solution isn't more cultural than economic regionalism. If Apple could hire a work force that could build competitively (taxing environment included) in Detroit, they would certainly. So at what point do we say we are not a global economy, and at what point do you recognize that fact and seek a way to compete with other cell phone/computer makers. What pisses me off is Google shoving billions in profits made here in the U.S. into off shore non-taxing corporate entities.

Matt with your talent, what about doing a "Then and Now" with you other web site?
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Lots more here, if you can stomach them:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... kward.html

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

creeped out.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic